Blackmagic Deisgn 2.5K Raw S16 -- for 2,999.99 - July

At this point if you really think you're going to want one you should pre-order from one of the listed retailers. BH might work out.

I can imagine anyone putting in an order just now won't get one until christmas or early next year.

Sorry for the triple post. But now I'm getting crazy.
There are 468 users waiting on B&H queue. It will take a lot of time, I guess.

"I just don't know what to do with myself".
Thinking about the GH2 again. :director:

You know what, it is not my time to care about Blackmagic. It's time to show some work, talent and good storytelling. I can't stand for this wait and I'm not a experienced filmmaker to demand the best available camera.
I'm going to GH2, the fastest card for the greatest hack, the wide and fast Noktor 12mm, and let's go to work.

Good job for all those who will put the hands on BM.
Sorry for the fourth message, that's the last.

See you!

Since I've started, I've always been on the bleeding edge in most cases if I can afford what's coming out, or can justify the cost with upcoming jobs.

I had a GH1 before it was even released in the US, a D90 before it was released, some more expensive toys day of release, in all cases you just don't want to "wait and see". Get in at the ground floor with these things, worse case scenario you don't like it then sell it.

I do it alllll the time.

Last rumor was that there were three thousand pre orders total amongst all dealers, vendors, etc. And, I'm sure that number went up after John released more footage.

IMO, if you have something to shoot, GH2 will cover you. I still really love that camera and it produces a nice image, I'm moving away from it because it lacks the DR and reliability that I really need.

I'd be as brain-muddled as you if I wasn't high on the list with one of their top ten vendors.

=)

This reminds me of what Ken Rockwell has to say (and seems to often comment on) on the matter. Blackmagic Design isn't Canon or Nikon, but I'm guessing it's more-or-less the same thing. In a nutshell, KR says if you want to get in on the bleeding edge and get that latest camera first like Kholi does, you have to order on the very day ordering is possible.

How to Get It by Ken Rockwell

For any that may be interested, new Australian TV drama 'Puberty Blues' has been running a Blackmagic for select shots. DP is John Brawley. Their A cam is Alexa, they've also got a C300 running on some shots, as well as the Blackmagic. I, personally can pick a slight difference between the three, but the differences are slight, and to the general public, I couldn't imagine there being a noticeable difference at all, especially after compression for TV.

It is set in the 70s and personally, I think real S16 would've lent a much more suitable look, but more to the point, the BMD holds up pretty well intercutting with the Alexa.

Saw one of these babies in the flesh the other day, and whilst I still have my reservations, I do think I'd be happy with one in my arsenal. I certainly see no reason to buy a 5Dmkii body over this bad boy.

Last edited:
Yeahhhhhhhh, but I wanna see Kholi's first black magic video.

So, huh? What does Kholi think? Get yours yet? :)

But, really, that video looks gorgeous. I think I'm in love.

But, still, if I were a rich man, if I were loaded, I think my dream girl, at this point, might be the FS700. Significant price difference. But for a working class guy like me, their prices might as well be the same, heheh. But, I want that incredibly luscious slo mo.

But, yeah, Black Magic, baby.

AFAIK, they haven't officially started shipping yet - talking to a new friend of mine who works there, he mentioned they were about to start shipping. He doesn't work in the department that's building the camera, but all I can report is what I've heard (having not ordered one myself, I can't tell you if it has or hasn't arrived at my doorstep yet)

AFAIK, they haven't officially started shipping yet - talking to a new friend of mine who works there, he mentioned they were about to start shipping. He doesn't work in the department that's building the camera, but all I can report is what I've heard (having not ordered one myself, I can't tell you if it has or hasn't arrived at my doorstep yet)

It will, Jax...it will.

--Yoda

Yeahhhhhhhh, but I wanna see Kholi's first black magic video.

So, huh? What does Kholi think? Get yours yet? :)

But, really, that video looks gorgeous. I think I'm in love.

But, still, if I were a rich man, if I were loaded, I think my dream girl, at this point, might be the FS700. Significant price difference. But for a working class guy like me, their prices might as well be the same, heheh. But, I want that incredibly luscious slo mo.

But, yeah, Black Magic, baby.

Hmmmm ..

Honestly, and I'm trying not to use any sweeping generalizations or statements, I really think it's the only camera out there with an image that deserves the title "baby Alexa", and one of three cameras that actually produce an image that doesn't feel "digital."

It's a slight bit under-spec'd, like no 60P, yadda yadda but it's got what's pretty much essential for a narrative filmmaker, and then at least a few things in the image department that nothing under say 15K offers, oneof which only the Alexa gets imo.

So, what do I think? I think that they just need to stop delaying and ship the damned camera so that I can start using it immediately. I think that there's nothing else under Epic or Alexa right now that will be able to produce such (and I don't even like this term) a film-like image.

And, it'll be a lot more liberating creatively than any of these DSLRs ever were due to their DR limitations.

FS700 isn't a bad camera, I've used it and had my time with it, my problem was just that it still had the "Sony" look to it, and everything made by Sony short of the F65 has that look: video-ish even at twenty-four frames. It's weird, but it's definitely not my preference even though I know some people are fine with it or can't tell.

Anyway, yeah, they need to stop delaying and just ship the camera. I should've ordered two.

Back