• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Bizarre XML Interchange workflow. Will it work?

For a few weeks, I've been trying to figure out the best way to transfer all of the editing I've been doing on Final Cut Pro at school to my Premiere Pro computer at home. I still think the easiest option is to export the entire project to ProRes, and editing that exported video file, but I want to try something else as well, in case that doesn't work.

So, here's my plan.

1) Export a FCP XML on the school computer.
2) Put the XML file on a thumb drive and take it home.
3) Open the XML on my home computer
4) Relink all the clips

However, there are a couple possible problems that occur to me.

Problem 1) Premiere won't accept an XML file full of clips that don't exist
Problem 2) I won't be able to link the old edit to new clips with different codecs and (perhaps) different names.

My question?

Do you think this will work?

Well, I don't have access to my other computer, unfortunately. Believe me, if I could, it would be such a relief to know I had nothing to worry about!

I'm pretty sure this will work, but I can't find any descriptions of what will happen when none of the clips are correctly linked.

I'm reluctant risk weeks of work on the assumption that this will work, but I may be forced to. I get the feeling that no one else has tried this.

yeah, sorry, my above comment seemed a bit critical, wasn't meant to be..

I started thinking about this and realized what might make this easier is to install premier on the FCP box, free trial or even the monthly subscription, and you would at least KNOW that it works. You could even use premier project manager to gather up all the clips and what not into a new folder.

Back