• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Big Data is Dangerous

I recently led a small team of VFX artists to help realize the ideas in Big Data's new video "Dangerous."

Directed by New York's Ghost + Cow creative team, with color grading from The Mill, and an incredibly talented cinematographer in Paul McCarthy- I feel like a bunch of really talented people came together to make something with relatively nothing.

https://vimeo.com/84694776

Anyway, give it a watch, its a fun music video, with boobs, blood and laughs.

Blown away by this song the first time I heard it on the rdio

*Mixed feelings about the vdio... it muddies meaning w/ gore [but it was well edited & interesting]

Last edited:
Very nice.
Excellent camera work - and SFX, of course. :)

Pretty krayzee.
Whatever meaning it had went right over my head.
Didn't seem to be parody or satire of any recognizable sort.

All the "big data" part eludes me. :huh:

IMO, a better ending would have been after winning the contract to have the bearded ad man over-exuberantly fatally head-butt the CEO/marketing director in the forehead. :D
The irony in THAT I would have understood.

Will there be a BTS video including your contribution to the video?

All the "big data" part eludes me. :huh:

Confused the hell out of me too!! but after i realized it's the name of the band… not actually referring to literal big data.

love your idea for the end.

my experience.. i got pretty bored and almost turned it off in the first two minutes. Should have developed the story faster. and stuck with slightly longer :D slow motion shots on the jiggling boobs. but glad I stuck with it

Oh, efff me.
I'm such a dork idiot.

"Official music video for “Dangerous” by Big Data. Filmed on location in NYC.
Big Data is a paranoid electronic music project from the Internet, comprised of Alan Wilkis + friends."

Big Data is the name of the band/project.

(Idiot)

Just ignore me...
I'm...

Whatever.

Nice video.
I get it now.

It's just a music video.
Very random.
Nice.

:yes:

I was really confused about the 'big data' thing too the first portion of the video when I first saw this a week ago or so, then it clicked that it was the band name for the last third or so...

But, since I work in tech as a developer, and people throw around the term "big data" a fair amount, I think my confusion was somewhat warranted.. lol

Glad its getting responses. People do realize the band is an entity that is not my post production company, or the production team right? When I was approached about doing some VFX and design, I was confused about it being Big Data too- then I kept reading the title of the treatment and it said music video.

Yeah, I think we got it - and your VFX contribution, too.
Sometime the collective "we" here are a bit slow. :)

What can you tell us about the VFX you did do?

Ghost + Cow really value in camera effects, which is great, because I feel strongly that you get a better result with a mix of in camera stuff with modern compositing. Unfortunately, they had some issues with the prosthetics, so there was quite a bit of clean up and add ons and repairs to Bacon face. I was able to go through the dailies and find some angles for his ears, skin texture, etc. There were other takes where the gore was a bit better so I was able to track some bits in and make him feel more freakish and a bit more human.

The women got the usual mix of beauty work.

They wanted some over the top stupid lens flares- mission accomplished. We were laughing pretty hard at them.

Blood, added lots of blood.

Some retouch throughout, fixing things, removing things, making clean backgrounds, sky replacements, etc.

Dan, that was quite the production. 11 months? Dang!

Definitely a great concept, maybe not "fucking amazing" (IMO) but amazing enough to get people on board (for free or next-to-nothing) and that's what matters at the end of the day. Very well produced and solid work all around. Looks like everyone brought their A game.

BRANDON AND JOHN: You can do whatever you want in a music video, but the flip side to that is money. There’s simply no money in music videos anymore. No one is willing to pay for them. Unless you’re doing a Katy Perry video. So, that’s a major challenge. Getting a crew to work for free or peanuts, getting free gear, a free stage, free locations, cheap, but good actors, etc, etc. That is a challenge we had to deal with every day. But here’s how you can get around all of that: Make sure it’s a fucking amazing concept. If it’s amazing, people will want to be a part of it. Because we’re all making baby diaper commercials and shooting corporate events for money. Who doesn’t want blood, dicks, boobs and headbutting shoes on their reel? The same goes for making a film. You need great ideas to get great people. That will make a great film. As far as equipment, we didn’t really work with anything new, but we were able to work with great gear and great companies. We shot on the Red Epic, which came with a great DP, Paul McCarthy. And then in post, we were lucky to work with great companies like The Mill and great Visual Effects people like Dan Bowhers, so that was pretty awesome.

And, yeah, bloody head-butts in the ad boardroom at the end would have cinched it. :yes:

I think bloody headbutts in the board room would have ruined the two worlds. It also would have undermined the joke with the old guy looking all pissy throughout and then celebrating the idea.

I am very lucky to be able to collaborate with fun and talented people. We all work in film/tv/commercials so yeah, it takes a long ass time to get something out, but since we are all helping each other on various projects I believe the end result appears much grander then the funds behind it.

Thanks for watching it

Back