BetaSP PAL?

How would I begin producing a BetaSP PAL copy of one of my films? My film has been selected for a festival and this is the format they require but I don't know where to start. I'm familiar with making miniDV and DVD copies but BetaSP is something I'm new to. What hardware would I need for example?

Cheers – Leo

You will need to find a production house that has a PAL BetaSP deck & a video format converter. It will NOT be cheap. PAL is the European video standard (25Fps) and is not commonly used here in the states (where we use NTSC), and a BetaSP is an expensive deck, so anyone with a PAL BetaSP deck is going to charge an arm & a leg (plus other assorted body parts).

Call the larger video production companies in your area, and then check the big markets like NY and LA for places that might ahve one & their dubbing costs.

Thanks, I'm based in London where PAL is the norm but from you say it still sounds like it's going to be too hard to do. I don't understand why they don't just accept miniDV for this particular part of the fest. I've got another film in a different part of the same festival and they were quite happy with a DVD.

Leao

Since you're in teh UK, just go to any production house and they should be able to dub it for you and it won't be that bad of a price. If you wanted NTSC, THAT would be pricey and for us here to do a PAL is pricey.

If you're based in London, give these guys a bell. They provide media training so they have mini-dv and Digibeta and Beta SP decks in house. They will probably give you a good price on the dub.

They are the most professional house I've ever worked with and are very, very helpful.

http://www.vet.co.uk/

In the US, post-production houses charge a LOT more than labs or transfer houses. Just an FYI, it may be the same in UK. I can get a digi-beta clone from Duart for $68, a post-production house will charge about $275. I guess this is because you are using the talent of an editor and taking up editing time.

Back