• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

video Best way to make video previews/summaries fast?

I have a client that wants me to make ~30 second preview/summary videos for about 100 of their corporate videos.

Each of the videos range from 10-30 minutes in length. Which is a problem, I can't spent 10-30 minutes watching a video to then make a preview of it. I'd lose money on the job.

I believe they will be using them on an internal website as a way for someone to quickly understand what's in a full length video.

Does anyone have any tips on quickly selecting scenes to include in the preview/summary video? My goal is to spend 10-15 minutes on each video, max. Including the entire process from open to export.

Last edited:
- Watch one video and learn where the "meat" is. Perhaps there are on screen visuals to look for during something important, or maybe certain music, montage editing, etc.
- Does the beginning have an introduction as to what will be covered?
- Skip to the end to look for any "wrap up/summary" type material as well.

- Watch one video and learn where the "meat" is. Perhaps there are on screen visuals to look for during something important, or maybe certain music, montage editing, etc.
- Does the beginning have an introduction as to what will be covered?
- Skip to the end to look for any "wrap up/summary" type material as well.
I was thinking something similar. Remove any intros or outros. I'll can look for patterns in a couple, but I need to be fast in recognizing them

Is the client expecting you to watch them all? If I was the client I would want the best product possible. And yes this would be chargeable time at a lesser rate.

I have a client that wants me to make ~30 second preview/summary videos for about 100 of their corporate videos.

Each of the videos range from 10-30 minutes in length. Which is a problem, I can't spent 10-30 minutes watching a video to then make a preview of it. I'd lose money on the job.

I believe they will be using them on an internal website as a way for someone to quickly understand what's in a full length video.

These are videos that have already been produced and published, are they? If so, I would ask for a written synopsis of each one so that you can select an appropriate number of scenes to edit into a montage. If they don't have/don't want to provide that, then you should be clear that you'll have to charge for watching each and every video, otherwise you can't possibly make a quality preview.

On your side, you could work to a template based on the formula "who - what - where - when - how" (delete/substitute as appropriate). Five themes, six seconds each, as a starting point.

The alternative would be to create a type of teaser trailer, taking the first five minutes of each video and stripping out the padding to leave just enough footage to ask the question "what do we do? how do we do it?"

These are videos that have already been produced and published, are they? If so, I would ask for a written synopsis of each one so that you can select an appropriate number of scenes to edit into a montage. If they don't have/don't want to provide that, then you should be clear that you'll have to charge for watching each and every video, otherwise you can't possibly make a quality preview.

On your side, you could work to a template based on the formula "who - what - where - when - how" (delete/substitute as appropriate). Five themes, six seconds each, as a starting point.

The alternative would be to create a type of teaser trailer, taking the first five minutes of each video and stripping out the padding to leave just enough footage to ask the question "what do we do? how do we do it?"
I wish I could say they were that organized!

Thanks for the tips, I am going to skim through a few and see if I can identify a templated style.

Back