Best use of lighting in a film...

I watched E.T. for the first time in a long, long time recently (look at my new avatar!!!), and I really noticed the use of lighting in the film. The more I think about it, the more I believe that it has some really experimental lighting for a major summer blockbuster - the kind of experimentation you'd never see in summer flicks nowadays.

What film signifies the best use of lighting to you?

Poke

Moulin Rouge.

It may use a lot of colour in the lighting, but it's fantastic at setting the mood for each different scene.

Poke said:
What film signifies the best use of lighting to you?

Poke
I would have to think hard about that one, but without thinking too hard, I love the lighting of the pool scene in Sunset Boulevard - the way the pool was lit at night, with William Holden's body floating in it. There's also a great shot looking up at him from the bottom of the pool.

Wow. This is a toughie. But I agree with you guys, I LOVE good experimental/cinematic lighting.

I want to say Casablanca, that has some really great lighting. I love the super contrasty look of lighting from films back then.

F*! indie, I read your post after I had done mine... I should have remembered, I wrote a final paper on Sunset Boulevard FFS!

Last edited:
Also, The Third Man. Shot at night on wet cobblestone streets in post-war Vienna - another great one.

The first film that comes to mind is the cliched film school answer of Citizen Kane. I instantly think of one scene in the very beginning where a group of lawyers (I think..it's been a while) and the reporter are talking, and you can't see their faces because of the way it's lit. Then I also think of all the deep focus shots that have to lit well in order to work. It has really good lighting.

As fas as a recent film, I think Road to Perdition has some of best examples of good lighting, and it probably has the best cinematography in the past 5 years or so. Two scenes stick out in my mind 1) The scene where Michael Sullivan kills off his former boss in the street at night...just awesome seeing the mussel flashing form the darkness in the rain. 2). When Conner is looking to kill one of the Sullivan kids and he walks to the front door and looks out the window and his reflection is on top the Sullivan kid that's outside in the darkness.

Last edited:
clive said:
Nosferato - Iconic use of shadows
Ditto that, but would that be considered lighting, or art direction, since most of the shadows were painted? :)

top 3 off the top of my head (certainly not in any order):

The Exorcist - with the streetlight outside the house.

The 3rd Man - when the 3rd man finally is revealed in the sewers

Double Indemnity - car won't start.

oh, and the Godfather part 1 - opening scene - with the light coming down on that guy asking for a favour.

oh my god, thats four :blush: (idiot)

great lighting can be revealed in as much as what is not granted light as to what is.
its no suprise that great film noir is dominating this so far.

Last edited:
CommanderGoat said:
...Citizen Kane. I instantly think of one scene in the very beginning where a group of lawyers (I think..it's been a while) and the reporter are talking, and you can't see their faces because of the way it's lit.

I remember being so impressed with that initial scene and being so let down thereafter.

CommanderGoat said:
Road to Perdition has some of best examples of good lighting, and it probably has the best cinematography in the past 5 years or so.

Good one. I must rent this one now.

In order to clarify, I am speaking of films that have this great lighting throughout the entire movie, not just in one or two scenes.

Poke

Poke said:
In order to clarify, I am speaking of films that have this great lighting throughout the entire movie, not just in one or two scenes.
Sorry I broke the rules. :mope:

From what I remember they are good throughout. :P

Back