Best practical books on getting films made?

I'm looking for the best books that talk about the process and such, I guess Rebel Without A Crew might be a good place to start but what are some others? Thanks

Heh, GA's on a grumpy rampage this week. :lol:

HunterF, if you're looking for a book very similar to Rebel Without A Crew, forum member Vince Rocca wrote Rebel Without A Deal, detailing the experience of how his $11,000 movie became something larger than expected. There's a thread where a bit of debate began about it recently, here.

Those kinds of books are more about selling the idea that "you can do it, too!"... which you certainly could, of course. Are you looking for anything more specific? Books on cinematography, for example? Are you looking to explore a particular aspect of filmmaking? Something like The Guerilla Film Maker's Handbook is good for breaking down each of the positions, what they do, and how they work together, for example. There are tonnes of DIY books for building your own gear, as well.

talk about the process

The "process" covers a lot of ground. :)

Heh, GA's on a grumpy rampage this week. :lol:

HunterF, if you're looking for a book very similar to Rebel Without A Crew, forum member Vince Rocca wrote Rebel Without A Deal, detailing the experience of how his $11,000 movie became something larger than expected. There's a thread where a bit of debate began about it recently, here.

Those kinds of books are more about selling the idea that "you can do it, too!"... which you certainly could, of course. Are you looking for anything more specific? Books on cinematography, for example? Are you looking to explore a particular aspect of filmmaking? Something like The Guerilla Film Maker's Handbook is good for breaking down each of the positions, what they do, and how they work together, for example. There are tonnes of DIY books for building your own gear, as well.

The "process" covers a lot of ground. :)

I'm basically looking for a really simple yet comprehensive book that just outlines all the basic components of making a film, from pre to post. Something that just outlines how professional shots are done and what kind of equipment/steps are necessary to complete the process, if that makes any sense

Last edited:
Back