Best HDSLR for video

I want your opinions on which HDSLR is the best for video (hence the title). I would prefer to stick with Canon because I have a 5D mark I that I use for still photography and have some good glass already. Compare and contrast the t2i, t3i, 7D, 5DmkII, and any other worthy candidates.

Let the beatings begin!

My plan has been to get the mkII and use the mkI as a back-up for my still work. I have been hearing a lot of talk about the 7D and that it's newer sensor and firmware make it a better camera for video. I like the full frame sensor in the 5D, but I'm open to options.

If you're going to go with a crop sensor, I'd suggest getting one with an articulated screen like the 60D or T3i. It comes in handy for getting shots you really couldn't get with something like 5D or 7D. That being said, the 5DmII is an amazing camera. My issue with it is that it's sorely in need of an update. I personally expect something to be announced soon, or at least in the next six months. Others on the forum disagree, though, so maybe I'm completely off base. I just know from experience it sucks to buy a $2,500 camera and have it become outdated in a month.

My plan has been to get the mkII and use the mkI as a back-up for my still work. I have been hearing a lot of talk about the 7D and that it's newer sensor and firmware make it a better camera for video. I like the full frame sensor in the 5D, but I'm open to options.

Advantges of the 7D
It has 60P frame rate (handy for slow motion)
It has full resolution HDMI output which allows you to use a cheaper monitor rather than coughing up $1000 for a monitor that can upscale the 480P output of the 5D.
The DOF characteristics are closer to film which makes it somewhat easier to intercut the footage with film.
Rolling shutter is a LITTLE bit less of an issue than on the 5D.

Advantages of the 5D
No crop, a lens is the focal length on the label, not some fraction of it.
Better low light performance.
Shallower DOF when you want it (though it gets overused).

I just really wanted full frame so I went with the 5D.
As is true with ALL cameras, they don't become outdated just because the next generation comes out. I fully intend to still be shooting with my 5D 2 or 3 years from now whether the MK3 has come out or not.

Gonzo, would it be fair to say that it's easier to follow focus on a 7D as opposed to a mkII?

If all the settings are the same, the 5d will have a shallower DoF, making it harder to follow focus. However, if you stopped the lens down to have similar DoF to the 7D following focus should be just about the same. The 7D does have HD output, though, so if you're using an external monitor to focus it's obviously easier on the 7D.

I personally expect something to be announced soon, or at least in the next six months. Others on the forum disagree, though, so maybe I'm completely off base. I just know from experience it sucks to buy a $2,500 camera and have it become outdated in a month.

A buddy who is connected to the national Canon rep has advised that I hold off on the mkII because the mkIII will make me want to do serious harm to myself if I don't get it. That could (and likely is) just marketing BS from the Canon guy. The rumor is that the 3 is in the pipeline for the next cycle and that it is optimized for video out of the box. The price point is also expected to climb slightly. You know how rumors are, worth almost as much as a used Kleenex. I still don't know anybody personally who has a walk around prototype.

As is true with ALL cameras, they don't become outdated just because the next generation comes out. I fully intend to still be shooting with my 5D 2 or 3 years from now whether the MK3 has come out or not.

So very true. My mkI still does everything that I need it to for still work, and I bought it after the mkII had already come out.

Gonzo, would it be fair to say that it's easier to follow focus on a 7D as opposed to a mkII?

I too am interested in the answer to this.

A buddy who is connected to the national Canon rep has advised that I hold off on the mkII because the mkIII will make me want to do serious harm to myself if I don't get it. That could (and likely is) just marketing BS from the Canon guy. The rumor is that the 3 is in the pipeline for the next cycle and that it is optimized for video out of the box. The price point is also expected to climb slightly. You know how rumors are, worth almost as much as a used Kleenex. I still don't know anybody personally who has a walk around prototype.

If you can wait a while, then I probably would… what about buying a second hand Mark II to tide you over?

I too am interested in the answer to this.

In a nutshell, yes.

If you have a 5D with an 80mm lens and a 7D with a 50mm lens (to give you the same angle of view), both at a stop of f/2.8 and with the subject 5' away, you will have around 2.2" in focus with a 5D and 3.7" with a 7D.

The crop factor of 1.6x means you have 1.6x more depth of field with the 7D (or you can open up the 7D by 1.6 stops to achieve the same depth of field as the 5D).

There are really only two things the MK3 could have that would be major steps forward.

Full Res HDMI Out, including clean out for external capture.
A better compression scheme.

Both of those really hinge on a much faster processor that won't overheat under the load.

4:4:4 recording would be great. 4:2:2 would be an improvement. A faster processor is also rumored.

I think 4:4:4 will only be possible with uncompressed video for quite some time, but 4:2:2 would be awesome, that's for sure.

If I had to guess, I think we're going to see a whole new sensor that finds a way around line skipping. I think that's been the hold-up.

I think 4:4:4 will only be possible with uncompressed video for quite some time, but 4:2:2 would be awesome, that's for sure.

If I had to guess, I think we're going to see a whole new sensor that finds a way around line skipping. I think that's been the hold-up.

I think that's the processor not the sensor. The sensor gathers the data, MORE than enough data. The processor just can't handle it so they have to skip lines to not overload the processing power.

Back