• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best File Format For Editing ?

Any advice on the best file format to convert to to edit my footage?

The camera I have been using has a AVI file type which I cant edit straight away in premier pro, instead I have to convert it to another file format... I have been converting the footage to 1080p h.264 mp4 files but I have heard that this format drops frames.

Should I convert the footage to .mov to reserve more of the quality ?

AVI file type which I cant edit straight away in premier pro, instead I have to convert it to another file format...

That sounds odd.

Premiere Pro (standard definition projects) uses AVI files natively.
Premiere Pro (in HDV projects) uses MPG2 natively.

It even imports them, from tape, in the format the project is set for. Dunno about the cameras that record to harddrive or flash-cards, though.

Many people swear by NeoScene conversion, which has a consumer-priced version available. Never used it myself, but a lot of forum-peeps do. (Any conversions I need are done with Adobe Media Encoder, included in the CS suites)

That sounds odd.

Premiere Pro (standard definition projects) uses AVI files natively.
Premiere Pro (in HDV projects) uses MPG2 natively.

It even imports them, from tape, in the format the project is set for. Dunno about the cameras that record to harddrive or flash-cards, though.

Many people swear by NeoScene conversion, which has a consumer-priced version available. Never used it myself, but a lot of forum-peeps do. (Any conversions I need are done with Adobe Media Encoder, included in the CS suites)

Thanks, the footage is Full HD in AVI format from an SD card, I have no idea why premier pro wont work with it, it just imports then on playback before and after rendering it just jumps and messes up with the audio but in media player it plays perfectly :(

When I convert the footage it works perfect

I even tried CS5 and it does the same thing grr.

Hi, I personnally think the best format to use for high quality editing is the Open EXR (.exr) image sequence format. If you can't, use another 32 bit format (.hdr ). And if you can't, work with a 16 bit format (.tiff).

Open EXR is the format developped and used by Industrial Light and Magic, it supports and infinite amount of custom channels (like red, green, blue, alpha, motion vector, depth, etc.)

It is mostly used for CGI, because of its multichannel capabilities, but I think it's the best format to use for HD mastering and editing because it is a lossless, uncompressed format (if I'm not mistaken or its compression is transparent) and it takes a fairly low disk space for the quality it delivers.

The downside is that real-time preview in not possible without RAM (like most image sequences), and not every software accept EXR. But whatever you choose, you should make all your editing in 16 or 32-bit and keep that bit depth until you render your final video file.

If you work with those formats you won't have to trouble with compression and codecs anymore, until you make your final render. Meaning that you will always have a maximum of quality. Even if your original footage is 8 bit (like any footage from a camera), you should bring it in a 16 or 32 bit environment the minute you start your editing and, most of all, before you add your first filter/effect/transformation to your video footage.

(I forgot to say: as you start to work with 32 bit footage, you must learn how to work in linear workflow and how to correct your gamma with 0.455/1.8/2.2 conversions. Complicated a bit, but it worths the trouble. You may never encounter gamma problems if you only work with video footage (vs 3D), but it's good to know what to do if your footage appears way too contrasted or with colors washed out...)

Last edited:
AVI is just a "wrapper" meaning name of the last 3 symbols for a file type. It tells us nothing about how it is encoded.

What camera are you using? It should say in the manual (or online) what CODEC is being used in the AVI file.

You can custom make a Premiere Pro project around that codec and your editing should be much easier.

Back