• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best editing software for these cameras and editing in general.

Hello guys,

I’ve used the search button but it seems like I still cant answer my questions. I plan on getting t2i ( 550D ) or a D5000 DSLRs to shoot my movies. I have been using Sony Vegas Pro for a while now however I have always had rendering issues and my videos ( no matter how good they look in Vegas during editing ) always come out twitchy and quality degraded after rendering. I tried different setting and still the same problem.

The quality always degrades after I convert to another format so that Vegas can read both sound and video. I finally decided to get a camera which has a format that I will NOT need to convert as I don’t want my footage quality degraded ( perhaps I was not using good enough converter, and I’ve tried a lot of them, or my settings were the problem ). With that said, I am debating which camera to get out of the two ( t2i ( 550D ) or a D5000 ). Because I’m on low budget I would rather go with D5000. Which editing software would best be used with either camera? Which is easier to render in?

Or let me rephrase: which software is best ( Vegas, After Effects, Premiere, final cut) is best to use with HD footage out of DSLR without needing to convert? So that I can straight up take the footage I shot, and directly import into the editing software?

Im running windows 7 with 4g (asus K52F laptop) and currently on Vegas Pro 8.

Thanks for any help.

Roman

I don't really know the answer as to what is the best editing software for a DSLR camera. I hear CS5 handles it pretty well.

That being said.

I just dropped some major green on a brand new imac dual core i7 computer. Bumped it up to 8GB of ram.

I also just purchased the full CS5 Production sweet.

Luckily since I'm employed by GE/NBC I got a huge corporate discount. Even though I dropped about 3,500+ on the imac and software I saved about 1,400 dollars.

aghh just shot an email to Cineform and thanks to their awesome customer support I almost right away got an email back with a response:

Neoscene does not support Nikon D5000 . Neo HD does, but at 500 bucks its hard to swallow. Upsetting just that I found a D5000 with the lense for 500 bucks. so i guess gotta save up for a t2i and 130 for neoscene. just heads up if anyone is wondering about neoscene and D5000

Hey Cracker Funk,

I already have Vegas Pro 8.0, Premiere Pro CS5 and After Effects CS5. Because my laptop is not of the highest performing ones, everyone tells me i will lag badly. Thats why i wanted neoscene to convert my footage so i can work with it easier. I prefer Vegas over Premiere, although i had some time spent on it under my belt. Right now, I am honing my skills in Vegas and learning After Effects.

I suppose t2i here i come. lol

Thanks guys

Roman

If you're already buying a t2i anyway, you might wait to get it and see how it handles some test footage before flipping the bill for NeoScene. You'de be surprised, because CS5 is 64 bit it handles system resources fairly well. You never know...

Reading these threads about using DSLRs and which editing programs can process them, I was gettting the idea that the editing choice if you go with a DSLR ought to be APP CS5 --given the scary sounding problems of "rendering" and "re-rendering." I did try searching "rendering" here on Indie and on google, but without much luck. Sorry for being a noob, but could someone define and explain what is meant by "rendering" in this context?

So my next question was this:

If a PC user decides to go with a DSLR and they've yet to choose a NLE, should he or she go with APP CS5 over Vegas, given Vegas's inability to accept DSLR files directly or natively or... ?

Also, the discussion about the demands of CS5 led me to go to the Adobe and Sony sites and look at their respective technicial requirements. Scary.

So one of CS5's requirements is:
•OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 port for DV and HDV capture, export to tape, and transmit to DV device

Similarly, one of Vegas's is:
•OHCI-compatible i.LINK® connector/IEEE-1394DV card (for DV and HDV capture and print-to-tape)

Please tell me that your PC doesn't need a firewire port thingy for these programs to work, 'cause I'm pretty sure mine don't have one.

On the CS5 list, an NVIDIA GPU is listed as a requirement. There is no mention of Radeon compatibility. Does that mean that if you have an ATI Radeon, you're out of luck if you wanted to use CS5?

Firewire is strictly for those who are shooting on tape. It is needed to capture your video to your computer, if you shot on miniDV. You will not need it if you are shooting on DSLR.

Vegas handles Canon DSLR footage, in it's native format. You just need a beast of a computer. Also, depending on your computer, even though CS5 and Vegas both handle DSLR footage, cineform might still be a good idea.

For me, the debate between Vegas and Premiere is simple.

Are you broke? Get the $100 version of Vegas. Great bang for your buck.

Do you have a bit of a budget? CS5 is your jam.

Richey,

There are people on this forum that would be more appropriate to answer your questions about this, but I'm going to try to give some basic answers so we don't get mired up in too much technical talk.

If a PC user decides to go with a DSLR and they've yet to choose a NLE, should he or she go with APP CS5 over Vegas, given Vegas's inability to accept DSLR files directly or natively or... ? CS5 will natively accept the H.264 codec from Canon 5D Mk II / 7D or T2i camera footage, but if you convert those files to Cineform Neoscene - http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/ - Sony Vegas or Final Cut pro will handle them just fine. Sure, it's an extra step, but not a big deal in my book.

You don't need an EEEI 1394 (firewire) port for anything related to DSLR's. You'll need a card reader.

On the CS5 list, an NVIDIA GPU is listed as a requirement. There is no mention of Radeon compatibility. Does that mean that if you have an ATI Radeon, you're out of luck if you wanted to use CS5? No, you're not out of luck, but you'll get reduced performance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, guys. It's good to know that Vegas can do it, too. I'm lucky to have a bit of a beast of a computer (recently replaced my former, measely puter which died). But yeah, the latest versions of those programs cost an arm and a leg on a smaller income. Ouch. :)

Back