• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best books on shot composition?

In your opinion, what are some good books on framing and shot composition. I know there are plenty of good books on filmmaking in general, but I'm looking for something that specifically deals with these two things

Thank you! :)

It's also up to personal taste, on what you think would be best for your particular movie. Different movies have different shots and composition ideas, and it's best to pic a movie that has your favorite style to follow, rather than the style that a book tells you to.

I agree watch loads of films, watch the stylistic ones, the ones that are different and get your own ideas on composition that start from looking at others. One of my personal favs is The Dammed United. Got some intresting stuff in there.

damned-united.jpg

You would be surprised at the number of people I have worked with and taught, who have watched TVs and movies all of their lives, but still don't know how to frame a shot or even replicate a scene in a cinematic style.

Back