benefits to a mini dv camera?

I have never used one but am wondering as a studio not too far from here is considering selling their older Canon prosumer cameras.

I would imagine there are pro's to owning one over the sd card. What do you like about it over the sd card camcorders? Would you rather invest more money in a consumer camcorder or less money on a prosumer mini dv camcorder?

yeah, but cant you just shoot at a lower resolution?

If one already has the computer and editing software, yeah, get a SD camera and MAKE your film -- that is the goal here -- making it.

Once done you can ponder about how you'll do your next movie.

Right now techies and gear freaks often prevent people from even making a film in the first place.

Just make your film and tune out all the people second guessing your format choice. :cool:

Super, did you forget to mention the faster computer and newer software that is required to edit HD? Hmm? The $1,000 may end up being $2,000 or $3,000.

I suggest the OP buy the simple and bullet proof Sony VX2100 (SD) and make her damn movie and do the complicated DSLR thing down the road.

Haha, nice! Plus you have to pay for the audio equipment, too, right? Since the audio implementation on the DSLRs sucks and all.

I guess you could use offline editing in a pinch... that would be cheaper but also a lot more technical and time consuming (and you'd need professional editing software). But still, I think the improved image quality is worth it. It's called depth of field, man! DSLRs look awesome, and for me, it's as simple as that.

you know, I have the ultimate low budget solution. Just be friends with someone who has $100,000 worth of studio equipment and editing programs, computers and stuff. Then just borrow it with no intention of returning it in the near future.

Cha-Ching

Super, did you forget to mention the faster computer and newer software that is required to edit HD? Hmm? The $1,000 may end up being $2,000 or $3,000.

I suggest the OP buy the simple and bullet proof Sony VX2100 (SD) and make her damn movie and do the complicated DSLR thing down the road.

I was actually wondering about this very thing, how much of an update does a computer need in able to handle HD video? My current laptop runs/edits SD video easily on Premiere Pro CS4, but I wonder if it would struggle with higher quality video.

I was actually wondering about this very thing, how much of an update does a computer need in able to handle HD video?

Massive amount of more storage and RAM, faster processing speed. Frankly, unless you have a Mac, I'd just get a newer computer than to update something that had its heyday before HD dominated video.

-------------------

The other thing that ought to be brought up is the other costs of making your film. If you've no money to feed the crew, nobody is going to be too impressed with your HD-ready computer and HD camera.

Moral? Make your film and quit worrying about what techies and gear freaks here are going to say! :lol:

HP Laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0GHz
4 GB RAM
Windows 7 64 bit
500 GB Hard drive

EDIT: Hard drive might be 7200RPM, but I think it's 5400 RPM. Just had someone replace it last week, so it's brand new at least.

You'd be fine with HD, I've edited on worse. I would suggest getting an external hard drive, though.

Massive amount of more storage and RAM, faster processing speed. Frankly, unless you have a Mac, I'd just get a newer computer than to update something that had its heyday before HD dominated video.

-------------------

The other thing that ought to be brought up is the other costs of making your film. If you've no money to feed the crew, nobody is going to be too impressed with your HD-ready computer and HD camera.

Moral? Make your film and quit worrying about what techies and gear freaks here are going to say! :lol:

You're the one spreading fear and stopping people. I'd wager most people have a computer that could handle short films in HD; the requirements aren't as "massive" as you keep insisting.

You're the one spreading fear and stopping people. I'd wager most people have a computer that could handle short films in HD; the requirements aren't as "massive" as you keep insisting.

:lol:

The only fear around here is when techies and gear freaks realize people don't need them to make films!

--------

Grab a camera, any camera, shoo the techies aside and make an entertaining film!

:lol:

The only fear around here is when techies and gear freaks realize people don't need them to make films!

--------

Grab a camera, any camera, shoo the techies aside and make an entertaining film!

Sure, if you have access to a MiniDV camera now go out and shoot! Paying as much for one now as a DSLR just doesn't make sense, though. I'm trying to save people money, which you don't seem to comprehend.

Sure, if you have access to a MiniDV camera now go out and shoot! Paying as much for one now as a DSLR just doesn't make sense, though. I'm trying to save people money, which you don't seem to comprehend.

If their existing editing suite cannot handle the DSLR footage how does that save them money? Not everybody has a very recent computer.

If their existing editing suite cannot handle the DSLR footage how does that save them money? Not everybody has a very recent computer.

In 3 years a DSLR will retain its value, as it will still be useful as a still camera. A MiniDV cameras value is constantly plummeting. Also, the quality of a DSLR will allow them to use it longer; It's very possible to use DSLRs for paying gigs and to get accepted into festivals. I haven't seen an SD paying gig in years, and as time continues, it will be harder and harder to get into festivals with an SD camera. It's already happening; I'm not seeing nearly as many SD films at fests this year as did last year. Once a person makes a few shorts with a GL1 I don't see them not wanting to upgrade if they can afford it. It would make sense more sense to pick up a Panasonic GH1 now for the same price used GL1s are going for.

Also, it doesn't take a "very recent computer" to handle HD video. I was editing HD on a Mac G5 from 2004. Seven years in computer years is ancient. It certainly wasn't ideal, but it is doable.

In 3 years a DSLR will retain its value, as it will still be useful as a still camera. A MiniDV cameras value is constantly plummeting. Also, the quality of a DSLR will allow them to use it longer; It's very possible to use DSLRs for paying gigs and to get accepted into festivals. I haven't seen an SD paying gig in years, and as time continues, it will be harder and harder to get into festivals with an SD camera. It's already happening; I'm not seeing nearly as many SD films at fests this year as did last year. Once a person makes a few shorts with a GL1 I don't see them not wanting to upgrade if they can afford it. It would make sense more sense to pick up a Panasonic GH1 now for the same price used GL1s are going for.

Also, it doesn't take a "very recent computer" to handle HD video. I was editing HD on a Mac G5 from 2004. Seven years in computer years is ancient. It certainly wasn't ideal, but it is doable.

Why would you be arguing retaining value when you're making movies, one of the most worst and useless investment anyone could make? A film set is a bottomless money pit and the characters that roam it eat everything in sight!

As for festivals, ENTERTAINING films get in, whether HD, SD or 8mm. Format is secondary. As more and more people own, HD, naturally there would be more HD submissions. But you don't have an edge. Crap on HD is flushed as often as crap on SD.

BTW, many small town TV stations are still using SD. Looks like paying gigs to me.

Why would you be arguing retaining value when you're making movies, one of the most worst and useless investment anyone could make? A film set is a bottomless money pit and the characters that roam it eat everything in sight!

As for festivals, ENTERTAINING films get in, whether HD, SD or 8mm. Format is secondary. As more and more people own, HD, naturally there would be more HD submissions. But you don't have an edge. Crap on HD is flushed as often as crap on SD.

BTW, many small town TV stations are still using SD. Looks like paying gigs to me.

Producing narrative films is a lousy investment; equipment, however, can be a good investment. You think since it's tough to make a profit making films you should throw all business sense out the door? It is precisely because it's such a tough business that you need to be smarter with your money and buy equipment that holds its value.

The idea that HD holds no edge is ridiculous, and will become more apparent in the coming years. It is a tiny minuscule edge, but it is there nonetheless. But it isn't just resolution; DSLRs beat out low level MiniDV cameras in dynamic range and other aspects of image as well. It's a small edge, I won't argue otherwise. It's still an edge that is there, though, and in such competitive situations you should take every edge you can, especially when the used SD camera and cheap DSLR are going to cost the same.

You also bring up SD TV stations. My main source of income comes from an SD TV station. If a small station is selling ad time locally, they're going to include production on the commercial as a package. The majority of local spots will be produced by the station. In order to compete with that, as an independent videographer you need to prove you can offer a better service. HD is a nice plus for many business; they like the fact that they can have a nice HD spot on their website, or take the spot to other stations capable of HD. Is HD all that matters? Of course not! But it is a nice checked box on a checklist of reasons they should choose you over their local station.

Please understand image quality is a small part of film production, I'm not arguing that. It is, however, a part of it, and in order to succeed you need to pay attention to every part.

Pro
Please understand image quality is a small part of film production, I'm not arguing that. It is, however, a part of it, and in order to succeed you need to pay attention to every part.

The part I play close attention to is the budget. When my film is done, I'm not broke and don't owe anyone a dime.

I'm sure there is now enough information here for filmmakers to make up their own minds on the direction they want to go with their pocketbooks.

Why are we talking about investments, in regards to used miniDV? Jesus, spend 200 bucks, get an okay used camera, fool around with it, learn how to become a filmmaker. This art takes time, and practice, and there's nothing wrong with learning how to do it on an old camera. Buy the better camera, later.

Why are we talking about investments, in regards to used miniDV? Jesus, spend 200 bucks, get an okay used camera, fool around with it, learn how to become a filmmaker. This art takes time, and practice, and there's nothing wrong with learning how to do it on an old camera. Buy the better camera, later.

If the MiniDV cam is only $200, sure. If someone is trying to unload one for $700-$1000 it simply isn't worth it, though.

Back