news Ben Affleck: ‘I Was So Bad’ in ‘Buffy’ That My One Line Was Dubbed Over

Ben Affleck is on top of the world right now. His latest directorial outing, “Air,” was both a massive critical success and a key piece of evidence that the new business model he and Matt Damon are utilizing through their Artists Equity production company can be viable. But even in the midst of all of his success, the filmmaker is still willing to look back at his humble beginnings.

Appearing on “The Late Late Show with James Corden,” Affleck reminisced about one of his earliest film roles in “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” He had one line of dialogue as Basketball Player #10 in Fran Rubel Kuzui’s 1992 film (which was written by Joss Whedon and inspired his TV series of the same name). Affleck told Corden that he thought he did a good job of delivering his line about the grave threat that a werewolf posed to this basketball game — but the production team apparently disagreed.

“I was feeling it. I felt authentically afraid,” Affleck said “And then I went and saw the movie with friends… and I sounded very different. And I realized right then they re-recorded my line.”

While embarrassed about the ordeal, he now admits that dubbing over his poor performance was probably the right call.

“I was so bad,” he said. “They needed me to be in the scene, but the director obviously [was like], ‘I can’t hear the voice again!’ They had to pay someone to come in and say, ‘Hey man, take it.’ Because apparently, I couldn’t say that convincingly enough.”

Fans of Affleck shouldn’t be particularly surprised to hear him speaking negatively about one of his own roles. The famously candid actor has no problem voicing his opinions about films that didn’t turn out well. He recently opened up about how the unpleasant experience of making “Justice League” caused him to reevaluate his career.

“I just thought, ‘This isn’t the life I want. My kids aren’t here. I’m miserable,’” he said of the “Justice League” shoot. “You want to go to work and find something interesting to hang onto, rather than just wearing a rubber suit, and most of it you’re just standing against the computer screen going, ‘If this nuclear waste gets loose, we’ll…’ That’s fine. I don’t condescend to that or put it down, but I got to a point where I found it creatively not satisfying. Also just, you’re sweaty and exhausted. And I thought, ‘I don’t want to participate in this in any way. And I don’t want to squander any more of my life, of which I have a limited amount.’”

manages ben affleck GIF
mood GIF

This was literally the only time in the history of the medium where they made a tv show based on a movie and the tv show was better than the movie, lol. Like the tv show has fan conventions and launched 20 careers, and the movie is only available at the very bottom of those round cardboard trashcans full of random 1 dollar movies they have at the dollar store.f

If anyone saw the tv show "Blade", it was not better than the movie.

Last edited:
It's a reverse cult classic for sure. I once walked into a bar where some Buffy shit was going on and I realized it has this strange cult following. Years ago but yeah, you are correct.

huh, gotta say, I disagree with everything on the list except for Buffy and Westworld. Westworld wasn't even that good, but it was way beyond the movie by every measurable metric. I never actually saw the film or show friday night lights, as a disclaimer.

Yeah like who tf would put Fargo on that list? Someone just trying to be controversial. Like with most lists. Throw in some stuff that causes talk.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. The fargo show was actually way better than expected, but the Fargo movie was an undisputed classic that helped define the zeitgeist of American cinema. Kind of a high mark. The Cohen brothers are brilliant.

I'll vote for the tv show Friday Night Lights over the (also good) movie. The whole cast is great (led by Kyle Chandler & Connie Britton) but Jesse Plemons alone is enough to push the show over the top. Also great to see Michael B. Jordan in an early role.

Last edited:
Back