• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Being prevented from using a pen name!

Hey writers,

I find myself with a very bizarre dilemma and wanted to get your opinions. I have been hired to write a Syfy channel film, and I don't want to be credited under my real name. I actually like the script very much, but at the end of the day, because of lack of budget and time and silly FX, my script will end up looking like a mess that compliments a not so great movie. (I know because the production company I work for has done this before to the exact same results I fear now).

I am writing it for the money (which isn't that much and I will reveal that it is $2500) and the chance to stay busy while my studio projects get rolling. I have a big studio deal in play and don't want them to see this Syfy film and think that is indicative of my work.

So anyway, I want to use a pen name....but the producer is not letting me do that! He is forcing me to put my name on it! Even though I know other people who have made films for them have used pen names! I refuse to sign the contract unless he simply makes sure I am credited as something else.

Am I wrong, or is this completely unreasonable (and probably illegal) of this producer?

Hmm, peculiar. Do you think that the producer is aware of the studio deal you're in the midst of? If so, it could be because they want your name on their project, gaining them exposure from the fact that your name is on the studio project.

Maybe have a meeting with the producer and go through everything and ask "what can we do to solve this problem together?"

I wouldn't say that you're wrong. It is unreasonable of the producer though. I can't see what the problem would be. Surely whatever script you turn in, all the words will be in the same places, irrespective of what's on the title page?

I don't know the technicalities of it but I've had the same problem as a musician. I wanted to be credited as something but was refused and they used my real, full name. Sorry I can't offer anything constructuve but I thought you'd like to know it happens everywhere.

Am I wrong, or is this completely unreasonable (and probably illegal) of this producer?

The producer is 100% not doing anything illegal.

Unreasonable? That could be argued.

I presume you're a members of the WGA, check their rules.

Actually I just did a google, John August states this --

http://johnaugust.com/2008/using-a-pseudonym

The WGA determines how names appear on screen, and the rules are pretty specific:

PSEUDONYM
19. A writer must use his/her own name in all writing credits unless he/she has already established a pseudonym or registers one at the Guild office before commencement of employment on a writing assignment, or before disposition of any rights to literary material on which he/she wishes to use such pseudonym.
Read his article (2008). Contact the WGA for the latest rules.

Last edited:
First of all, congratulations! I think this shouldn't pe such a big issue, and if the producer wouldn't want to work with you anymore because you refuse to use your real name, I think you should use it and stay with the project. Also, make sure the pen name isn't offensive or similar to a celebrity figure or historical character. Otherwise, be nice to the producer, register the pen name with the WGA and maybe he'll change his mind!:) Explain your situation and concerns to him.

I presume you're a members of the WGA, check their rules.
No one making $2,500 for a script is doing that under the
WGA contract. You should take a look at the WGA minimums.
I agree with alex. The producer has every right to use your real
name on the script. You have every right to ask that he does not.
You have not signed a contract yet and you said you won't sign
it unless he agree to use a different name. That is the beginning
of your negotiation. If you two cannot come to an agreement
then you don't take the job.

With a big studio deal coming up it is reasonable for the producer to
want to use your name on the project. It's not illegal for the producer
to use your name on the script.

Hey writers,
I find myself with a very bizarre dilemma and wanted to get your opinions. I have been hired to write a Syfy channel film, and I don't want to be credited under my real name. ... Am I wrong, or is this completely unreasonable (and probably illegal) of this producer?

You state "I have been hired". As an employee your employer can list your credits as they want. The script was not optioned or purchased from you pre-written (you have copyright). The fact that you accepted money without previously negotiating this also weakens your case. As Paul pointed out, the WGA rules do not provide any support in this case.

We all have projects that for one reason or another are transmogrified from the original. Honestly, it won't make that much of an impact. Audiences don't go to movies to see the screenwriter credits (unless you're also a screenwriter ;) ). Second, even bad publicity (or production in this case) is better than none. If someone asks, are you a produced screenwriter, you can say yes.

And I agree with Directorik in that having a budding screenwriter's name associated is a bonus for them. As in politics, any publicity is good publicity if it makes people aware of you. Just be more careful in the future. One bad flick isn't going to halt your career.

If you are completely sure that the Syfy project hurts you, you can also use a pen name in the
big studio deal and keep that for the future. I don't think a low budget or FX will make the
writer look bad as much as a weak director might, though. Maybe you're also underestimating
the Studio people? You sure they can't tell how well something is written, no matter what it
looks like?

I have heard similar stories from other producers. I did a rewrite and dialogue polish on a TV production, and the original writer felt the script had changed so much that he wanted to use a penname he had used before. However, since his original contract didnt have any stipulation for doing so, the producers said no. He was welcome to remove his name and leave MY penname as sole credited writer, but he declined that option, and we shared the credit.

I have heard similar stories from other producers. I did a rewrite and dialogue polish on a TV production, and the original writer felt the script had changed so much that he wanted to use a penname he had used before. However, since his original contract didnt have any stipulation for doing so, the producers said no. He was welcome to remove his name and leave MY penname as sole credited writer, but he declined that option, and we shared the credit.

Just curious. I take it that the producer was fine with you using a penname? Was that something stipulated in your contract then? How did that come about?

Back