Beginner camera/computer/ect question

Hey everyone, I wasn't sure if this would be better suited to the Camera section, or the Computer question.. So I'm posting here..

Actually it is a combination of questions...

First off, and it seems simple, is standard definition too old school to be "beginning with" is it a necessity to go straight to HD?

But wait, there is another question to go with that.

And it goes with editing HD video, from what I have read it takes a massive PC/MAC to edit HD video... My laptop is, we'll say, less than massive.

Windows 7 SP1, Intel Pentium 2.00GHz 4gb ram and I believe 275gb hard drive. I'm not asking if this is big enough to edit HD, because from what I've read it is definitely not... but if I started out with SD, would this computer be sufficient to edit?

Lastly, (before I read about the computer needed to edit HD video) I was researching camcorders in the Canon Vixia series, and looking at the Panasonic HC-X900m.. I was planning to buy something in the $500-$1000 range. Which from what I saw will buy a pretty nice HD consumer level camcorder...

However, if I were to start with SD, It looks like I could pick up a pretty solid 3 chip pro level MiniDV camcorder from X number of years ago...

So, to summarize....

Should I stick with SD and get a good used 3 chip, or save up and buy a good computer, followed by an HD camera... It may be worth mentioning that our "group" already has a member who shoots with a DSLR, so we have that access as well..

Sorry this is so scatter brained, but thanks for any advice.
Marshall

Last edited:
If your goal is to learn filmmaking in the sense of storytelling and editing, then yes, SD will be sufficient for that.
If you are however planning to release your work anywhere, even online, then I would suggest you go the HD route.

Your computer is good enough for SD editing AND HD editing, it won't be fast, but I bet you could edit HD material with it.

If you don't own an SD camera already, I would not suggest you buy a used one at this point, even if it were a prosumer 3-chip model.

I would highly suggest you get a DSLR camera body, I personally own a Canon T3i and love it.

You can buy a used Canon T3i body for well under $500.

The cheapest prime lens on the market is the Canon 50mm f/1.8, around $100 or so I believe.
It is a fantastic lens. That and the body will get you far.

If you have a $1000 budget you could buy the camera, lens, and a nice sturdy tripod to go with it, and maybe have enough left over to save towards getting a new computer.

Last edited:
Thanks Alienator for the reply!

If your goal is to learn filmmaking in the sense of storytelling and editing, then yes, SD will be sufficient for that.
If you are however planning to release your work anywhere, even online, then I would suggest you go the HD route.

Well then, I guess HD it is then!

I would highly suggest you get a DSLR camera body, I personally own a Canon T3i and love it.

You can buy a used Canon T3i body for well under $500.

The cheapest prime lens on the market is the Canon 50mm f/1.8, around $100 or so I believe.
It is a fantastic lens. That and the body will get you far.

If you have a $1000 budget you could buy the camera, lens, and a nice sturdy tripod to go with it, and maybe have enough left over to save towards getting a new computer.

I'm not looking to get a DSLR, because our little "film group" already has one member with a DSLR, as of right now I am looking towards an actual camcorder (nothing against DSLR, just, we're trying to build a bigger variation of what we have to use)... although since it seems like a majority of users on here are DSLR users, I may have to look into it.

I've edited HD footage with an old dual-core G4 Mac, so your existing machine will work just fine. The only real problem I can see is hard drive space, especially if you have to transcode your footage (this depends on your editing program).

I've edited HD footage with an old dual-core G4 Mac, so your existing machine will work just fine. The only real problem I can see is hard drive space, especially if you have to transcode your footage (this depends on your editing program).

I'm guessing an external hard drive would solve this problem?

If you want to learn, then get an older SD camera with manual controls (ie a Canon XL-series or similar) or perhaps a DSLR. The current issue with getting older SD cameras is the support - they're still making DV tapes but they're getting harder and harder to find.

I think consumer cameras are great for aspiring Directors, because Directors don't necessarily have to worry about the technical aspects of camera, and should be focussed on the framing and the performance within that frame.

Don't let SD discourage you, however keep in mind that SD is already pretty much obsolete. I think an XL2 would be better for a beginner than a cheap consumer camcorder, but you'll likely hit a point where you want to upgrade to HD quite quickly.

Perhaps a DSLR is a better option - it kinda combines the best of both worlds.

Well, I was going to a local photo video store tomorrow to look at their selection of camcorders... however since everyone is saying DSLR, there must be something to it... So, I will have to look at them while I am there as well...

Possibly a dumb question, but people are saying DSLR's have poor audio quality even when using the mic input with a boom mic, what causes this? I mean why is the quality low even when using an aftermarket mic?

I can record to an external source... Luckily I already have the gear, because I started audio engineering, then I found acting, now I've found filmmaking... so I'll have to dust off my recording equipment if I go DSLR (or probably any route)

Again, thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
why bother with SD when you can use a mobile phone, SD must surely be a dying format to shoot on (not to output to).

you should only really be using what your planning on working with for present and future.

Also it would be more useful to tell us what laptop you have swell as its specs because theres other things to consider as well.

Possibly a dumb question, but people are saying DSLR's have poor audio quality even when using the mic input with a boom mic, what causes this? I mean why is the quality low even when using an aftermarket mic?

The signal which comes out of a mic is tiny and needs amplifying greatly, this is accomplished with a mic pre-amplifier (commonly called a mic-pre) which can be a stand alone unit or built into other equipment such as mixers, mobile recording devices, audio interfaces, cameras, etc. The problem with DSLRs (and pretty much all cameras) is they are obviously designed primarily as cameras and the audio implementation is always incredibly crap. In fact you probably won't find poorer quality mic-pre's in any other piece of equipment! So you are going to get a considerable amount of hiss from the built-in mic-pres of your DSLR, regardless of the quality of your mic and before you have to deal with the hiss and noise of the environment in which you are recording. Add to this, the fact that DSLRs have very poor metering and usually no way to monitor what you are recording and DSLRs are next to useless for recording audio.

Many lo/no budget filmmakers use something like a Tascam DR100 to record their audio. Although it has way better (quieter) mic-pres than a DSLR, the DR100 is still a prosumer device and the mic-pres are still quite a way away from professional standards.

G

Well, I spent some time looking at DSLR cameras today at our local photo video store, and at Best Buy... I do really like all the manual control you have with them, as well as the manual focus, I looked at Canon (what everyone seems to recommend) But also looked at some of the Nikons, and really liked the way they felt in my hands...

I'm assuming Canon is the way to go, since everyone uses them, but will the video quality on a Nikon be comparable?

Nikon has some definite advantages:

• True HDMI out. Handy if you've got an external recorder and don't want to deal with h264 footage.
  • Better prosumer lenses. Expensive lenses for both Nikon and Canon are pretty much the same, but if you're going for the cheaper lenses, the Nikkors tend to be a bit better.
  • Nikon camera's have a more aesthetically-pleasing digital grain.

On the other hand, I can't stand the control layout of Nikons, and is why I prefer the non-rebel Canon models.

I have to say - hacked GH2 is probably best bang for your buck at the moment.

I watched some video footage from the hacked GH2, and it looks excellent, but I am curious.. on a couple aspects

First, how complicated is the "hacking" process of a GH2.

Second, What is the "lens mount" used on it? I was looking for a prime lens on BHphotovideo and wasn't sure which to select.

Lastly (for now), Will the hack compromise it's ability to shoot still photos? Because I would still like the ability to take DSLR quality stills

Again, thanks everyone for your help

I watched some video footage from the hacked GH2, and it looks excellent, but I am curious.. on a couple aspects

First, how complicated is the "hacking" process of a GH2.

Second, What is the "lens mount" used on it? I was looking for a prime lens on BHphotovideo and wasn't sure which to select.

Lastly (for now), Will the hack compromise it's ability to shoot still photos? Because I would still like the ability to take DSLR quality stills

Again, thanks everyone for your help

I have limited experience with the GH2, so I am perhaps not the best person to answer your questions. However, as far as I know the hack is relatively straightforward and does not compromise any still photo abilities.

The lens mount is 'micro 4/3' which has a short flange depth and therefore can be adapted for use with almost any lens mount available.

This is probably getting annoying, but I have 2 more GH2 questions.

First, on bhphotovideo the gh2 is listed under mirrorless system cameras, as apposed to DSLRs... is this significant at all?

Second, and I noticed it shows that it shoots 1920x1080 60i, which if I understand correctly is 60fps interlaced, which is less desirable than shooting progressive.. if that assumption is correct, does the hack change this to shoot 60p?

Sorry if these are dumb questions... but when I try to do a search for "gh2" it comes back as too short to search

The problem with the GH2 is that they really went up in price when this hack stuff became popular. Also, as a still camera, I hear the Rebels are way ahead.

Also, with a hacked GH2, the files you're gonna get will be even harder for your computer to deal with, unless you're planning on converting everything (I'm not sure about how that would work, I have a T2i).

Since you're not buying sound, get a Rebel or a GH2 and one good lens. A popular lens for the GH2 (and the Canons too I guess) is the Samyang 35mm. It's quite long on a GH2 (eq 70mm) but delivers some very good looking pictures (watch this GH2 + ZEISS 50mm) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rEhsh4L74E

Also, you'll need to consider some kind of rig (unless you already own some). Tripods tend to get boring and cumbersome but they are a must have. Shoulder rigs would be a nice for a handheld feel.

Finally, save as much as you can and get yourself a good computer. Having something that works slowly is a pain in the ass if you want to experiment a lot of things and get better at post-production (which is a HUGE part in low budget filmmaking).

Last edited:
Back