Beginner, but desire to go far...How?

Hello everyone,

I am a high school grad right now and I am 100% set on going into filmmaking. I have loads of questions though. Right now money isnt a problem for me going to school and to get the necessary equipment, actors etc needed to get things going. I know to go far doing movies it will take years but what is the broad outlook I need to expect? How much schooling will I need to take? How is it done if I want to get a movie published after we finish? What kind of schooling and where to learn how to direct/write stories? I am thinking of living in California near San Fransico. Any good suggestions for schools around there would be good. Basically I was hoping if any of you can give me step 1 through the end to make these plans happen.

Thanks ahead of time,

Steve

very correct when VPTurner said

We can all march forward, but marching forward with blind enthusiasm will just get you hit by a bus, figuratively speaking.

oakstreetphotovideo

you have mentioned a very important topic...can you tell more about character development this is the thing i completely cant understand how to work on this thing......

please every one do tell about this important issue...........

the biggest problem while communicating via net is that the tone is something else and the person other side thinks something else..
I'm afraid there is also a language and a cultural barrier in this case. Although I too feel you push too hard, to the point of being rude, I understand that we come from different cultures and English is not your native language. I try to see your intent, rather than your words. However, you might also have to do some filtering on your end, and understand that we are both misunderstanding each other at times and we do not need this to turn into some kind of pointless argument.

Please accept my blanket apology for when your words or intentions are misunderstood.

I think you may have misunderstood Clive's comment. He was not telling you to give up on making movies. He was simply stating the fact that everyone thinks they have great ideas and talent. You must be willing to take a lot of criticism and keep working to develop real talent. It is quite likely that what you are starting out with is ambition, but not real, marketable talent. That is not meant to be an insult in any way, just a suggestion that you should not rely on your opinion of yourself as a reliable measure. You will need more than that. If you find, like me, that you are not good at writing, find someone who is good at writing and do what you do best. Making movies is nothing, if it is not a collaborative effort.

Now, please forgive us for our misunderstanding, and try to understand that we are a culture of protocol. It is bad protocol to remind us that we haven't answered your question, when we are all very busy and you're not paying us. I, for one, will try to read through your words to determine whether or not you are genuine and deserving of answers. All I ask is that you do your best to help me.

Doug

answer me one thing only
can you write a good script without a good story??
No.

But that doesn't mean someone with a good story can write a
good script. Or that a good story makes a good script. You (or
anyone) might have great ideas and great stories. What everyone
is telling you is that doesn't mean a thing - it doesn't matter
at all.

No one is telling you not to dream - we are all telling you that
the script is the ONLY thing that matters. When you have written
an excellent script from one of your great ideas you will be taken
seriously. Until then (and it's not a personal attack or an attack on
your dreams) you are just like the hundreds of thousands of people
with ideas that haven't written a script.

Regarding character development, I suggest that you simply use google to research "character development" (put it in quotes), or ask a writer. I am not a writer. I don't write. I don't develop characters. I just know it's important.

Sorry, it's not my field. :)

ad2478...i know that english is not your native language, but if you can read and understand what you're reading in english pretty well I can give you the title of a book or 2 on script writing that may help.

I don't have a lot of time right this second to respond but if you type in a question or two I can try and give you some ideas on how it works.

I am not an expert, but since this is an area I've been studying and refreshing lately, I'll chime in on character development. I own multiple books on this subject, so summarizing in a few paragraphs may not be possible, but at least this can point you to other areas for additional research.

I think the most important thing about character development is a solid understanding that your character has a past, and that everything in that past has an affect on how they act during the course of your story. The writer must understand the major events from birth to story start, including other people in the character's life. Where were they born? What level of education? Hobbies? Interests? Broken home or parents still together? Siblings? Oldest, youngest, middle child? Dropped on their head as a child? Mental or physical disorders, learning disabilities, a facial tick? All of these details can help add depth to your character even if not all of them end up on the page or screen. Although your character may be a work of complete fiction, they must be REAL to you, an organic, living being (or inorganic in the case of Wall-E, but it's the human characteristics a writer adds that help us empathize with even non-humans).

Second most important aspect is how your character grows and changes throughout your story. This is most often referred to as the "character arc". Characters should grow and change, challenge their traditional belief systems, or have a solid reason as to why they don't, won't or can't change (for example, the woman trying to convert a homosexual man or vice versa). There are several methods for changing your character, the most extreme of which is metamorphosis where your character literally becomes something else (e.g. Cat People).

The third most important aspect is the "character web" where other characters interact with your main character to help reveal these small details and facilitate the process of change. What better way to demonstrate past sibling rivalry than to throw an older or younger sibling into the fray and have them dig up old wounds. If this is the focus of your story, perhaps a sub-plot arc would be for them to finally heal those wounds during the story. Co-workers, bosses, family, friends, perhaps even pets, when strategically placed and similarly developed, often contrasting with your main character's belief systems, are key to bringing out and building depth to your main character.

Study archetypes to get an idea of how basic character traits have existed and worked in story for thousands of years. "The Hero’s Journey" is required reading for all aspiring writers, in my opinion. Also study the archetypes as defined by Carl Jung. His book, "Personality Types", should also be on your shelf.

EDIT: Other recommended reading:

"The Writers Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers" - Christopher Vogler
"The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller" - John Truby
"Creating Unforgettable Characters" - Linda Segar
"Writing Great Characters: The Psychology of Character Development in Screenplays " - Michael Halperin
"Save The Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need" - Blake Snyder
"The Power of the Dark Side: Creating Great Villains, Dangerous Situations, & Dramatic Conflict" - Pamela Jaye Smith

Last edited:
oakstreetphotovideo

Please accept my blanket apology for when your words or intentions are misunderstood.

you people don't need to say a word like this that we apologize.you people are my seniors and i not only respect you but talking honesty i love you people for you kindness and quality of sharing knowledge. i have always loved people who listen to my bulk of questions and share their knowledge with me...the only thing is that please never think that i can insult you people....

and i also respect you people for the nature you have and as you believe in freedom of speech.and you people do not enforce your thought on others......

i dont know why

Jijenji is trying to make me scared of you people.i know you all are more experienced then i am but everyone has its own point of view.i accept that story is not enough but at-least it is the starting point for every one

and i completely agree with CLIVE no doubt in it every one thinks his ideas are great [:D] but all ideas are not great..i just rejected Jijenji idea that a good story is nothing.......

DOUGH

AGAIN LANGUAGE PROBLEM AS YOU SAID

Now, please forgive us for our misunderstanding, and try to understand that we are a culture of protocol. It is bad protocol to remind us that we haven't answered your question, when we are all very busy and you're not paying us. I, for one, will try to read through your words to determine whether or not you are genuine and deserving of answers. All I ask is that you do your best to help me.

It is bad protocol to remind us that we haven't answered your QUESTION....

WELL WHEN DID I SAID YOU DID'NT ANSWERED TO MY QUESTIONS???YOU PEOPLE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SUPPORTIVE TO ME AND HAVE REPLIED ME TO MY QUESTIONS....

AND HOW CAN I HELP YOU WHEN YOU SAID

All I ask is that you do your best to help me.
????

directorik

But that doesn't mean someone with a good story can write a
good script.

i agree with you 10000000% times.and i never said a good story means a good script.

and
No one is telling you not to dream - we are all telling you that
the script is the ONLY thing that matters. When you have written
an excellent script from one of your great ideas you will be taken
seriously. Until then (and it's not a personal attack or an attack on
your dreams) you are just like the hundreds of thousands of people
with ideas that haven't written a script.

i completely agree with this too

oakstreetphotovideo

i dont know why

Jijenji is trying to make me scared of you people.i know you all are more experienced then i am but everyone has its own point of view.i accept that story is not enough but at-least it is the starting point for every one

Trying to make you scared?

Well, I started to type another response to explain, but whatever. I'm not sure how someone taking time out of their busy day to try and help you out, with completely objective advice no less, could be interpreted as scaring you, but ok. I won't do that again.

I don't think it's a language problem either, but what do I know? I think I'm going to remove myself from the remainder of this conversation.

Jijenji

i think you are hurt when i said
Jijenji is trying to make me scared of you people
but i didnt mean it in negetive way...well i just wanted to say that you are right a good story is not everything and you believed that good story is nothing. i hopewe both have the right to think of our own.i believe a good script is 10000% more advance form of a good storybut still story has a worth because everyhting has a starting point which later on becomes a more great and high quality finsihed product[or a script]

i wish you can stay and post more to this thread

Actually, Jijenji is right. Good story is worthless without good execution. With bad execution, even a good story can become crap.

Bad story with good execution = crap
Good story with bad execution = crap
Bad story with bad execution = crap
Good story with good execution = gold
Therefore, the majority of stories are crap.

Deductive reasoning. :D

Last edited:
If you're planning on living in the Bay Area/SF, there's a new film school called the Berkeley Digital Film Institute. It's well-rounded and you learn everything from producing/directing to screenwriting. It's very hands-on and you develop great relationships and networking with the people there. It's also a great place to learn digital technology. You can check it out here: berkeleydigital.com

Back