Beginner, but desire to go far...How?

Hello everyone,

I am a high school grad right now and I am 100% set on going into filmmaking. I have loads of questions though. Right now money isnt a problem for me going to school and to get the necessary equipment, actors etc needed to get things going. I know to go far doing movies it will take years but what is the broad outlook I need to expect? How much schooling will I need to take? How is it done if I want to get a movie published after we finish? What kind of schooling and where to learn how to direct/write stories? I am thinking of living in California near San Fransico. Any good suggestions for schools around there would be good. Basically I was hoping if any of you can give me step 1 through the end to make these plans happen.

Thanks ahead of time,

Steve

Welcome. There are tons of threads on indietalk that talk about these issues and many more. Feel free to browse the forums, or use the search feature at the top of the screen.

"Basically I was hoping if any of you can give me step 1 through the end to make these plans happen."

Well, its not close to that simple. You need to read forums, read books, make shorts, make connections, learn the craft, develop your technique, etc. There is no step1-step10. Even though people become full time industry workers everyday, their paths to become it are varied.

One thing for sure is, going to any film school is no guarantee you will even land a single job anywhere, but it will teach you a lot and you will have access to good people and resources.

well if you want to join any film school then joing NYFA.i have heard alot about it....other option can be take literature in your majors to get some know how of stories.....

i started reading stories and novels at the age of 8 so i dont need to know how to write stories but many people might need some guidense.other thing is that you even might have no ability to think a story...all filmmakers are not scriptwriters.......

i personaly if get a chance would love to join a1 or 2 years diploma from NYFA ..as i have hear they provide complete practical training....

there are books on filmmaking too read them.you can gain some knowledge from there too.......there are ebooks available.......and even im planning to upload some ebooks on my blog......

in the basic.start lookng hollywood movies to know the camera angles, camera shots and camera moves...hollywood is the best in these things....but dont see simple love stories..try thriller,horror,suspence, and action movies...

look for this stuff on net.there is a bulk of data regarding camera angles,moves and shots..........

i started reading stories and novels at the age of 8 so i dont need to know how to write stories....

I'm sorry, but I could not help but notice this and wonder. Please clarify. Are you saying that because you read a lot of stories and novels that this now qualifies you as a writer?

As wideshot mentioned there are a lot of threads covering all your
questions. I hope you take some time and read them. In the
meantime, I’ll take a stab at quick answers to your questions. No
great detail, but (hopefully) a stepping stone for you to do
further research.

I know to go far doing movies it will take years but what is the broad outlook I need to expect?
Each persons path is so different there is no answer to this
question. If you are prepared then expect to take as long as it
takes. I know that doesn’t sound like an answer, but there isn’t
one. Some people give up after a few years, some never give up
and never make it.
How much schooling will I need to take?
None. Filmmaking isn’t a career that needs any kind of degree. Many directors, writers and producers have made films without ever
going to school at all.
How is it done if I want to get a movie published after we finish?
Unlike a novel, a finished film isn’t published, it’s distributed.
You will find lots of threads here on distribution. the short
version is: once the film is finished the filmmaker with send out
copies of the movie (called screeners) to distributors. If one
thinks they can make money with the movie they will buy the
rights to distribute from the filmmaker.
What kind of schooling and where to learn how to direct/write stories?
I think the very best way to learn how to direct is to direct and
the best way to learn to write is to read.

And write every day.

Since right now money isn’t a problem for you to get the necessary
equipment, actors, etc., I suggest you pick up a cheap camera and
mic, a few lights, some editing software and start making short
films. Just do it!

If you need suggestions on what camera to get read the dozens of
threads here about cameras. If you need suggestions on lighting
read the dozens of threads here about lighting. Same with editing
software. There are dozens of threads here about editing software.

Welcome to indietalk! There is a LOT to read and learn here.

Are you saying that because you read a lot of stories and novels that this now qualifies you as a writer?

no VPTurner i didnt mean that i qualify as awriter.but atleast i am better then people who even cant think a story.atleast i can have an idea, or a concept in mind....scriptwriting is a pro job and i believe im not good in it.but scriptwriting's base is a story.when you have a story then you make a script.it never happens that you first write a script and then think of a story.so i am atleast capable of thinking stories which is the base of Pro scriptwriting...

hope you have understood what i meant???

Having an idea isn't the basis for being a pro-screenwriter... everyone and their dog has an idea. All film makers know this. Tell a stranger that you make movies and for the next half hour they'll tell you their ideas for a movie.

In terms of answering the original question...

I used to teach actors and my first session always used to start the same way... with this question:

"Why do you want to be an actor?"

So, my question is... "Why do you want to be in the movie industry?"

The reason I ask newbies to answer that, is because their answer dictates their career strategy.

Some people are motivated to tell stories... some a fascinated by the visual... some are motivated by the actual business of the film industry.

Story tellers fall into writers and directors.... visual people fall into directing and cinematography... business people fall into becoming agents/lawyers and producers.

This is an over simplification... but it helps to understand your motivation and what appeals about film making to you.

I would add one thing... if the motivation is to be rich and have a glamorous life, you might want to rethink your career options. Film offers those dubious perks to a very small minority of people... for most film makers the realities are 18 hour days in the cold and the wet, scratching a living, making stuff we'd probably not send home to mom.

clive

Thanks for telling the realities of media industry but i believe that i will be a successful filmmaker,director, and a producer in later age too.

and well ........i know a story doesnt means that you are a scriptwriter too.........but i believe only a good storyc an be converted into a good script.............

and i never said i am a great writer, or a qualified scriptwriter........i just said i am good in thinking stories...............if you people mind if i say this well i can take my words back and say i am not good in thinking stories.is it ok now? [:D]

Whatever... just don't kid yourself that having "good" ideas is either that special or important. Ideas have ZERO value in the industry... and everyone thinks their ideas are great.

Thnaks for breaking my heart clive [:D]

but i think let me believe what i believe............because believes change life.......

ad I'll try replying to you one more time about this...you should listen to the people on here because, I know most people are extremely egocentric and believe in themselves above everyone else, but chances are pretty good that people who have made movies or written stories before have a better idea than you.

Clive is right...an idea equals nothing. EVEN IF it's the best idea that anyone has ever come up with, it's worthless. Why? Because that idea probably lacks any visual acuity in your mind, it most likely lacks a complete vision of a story, and it most certainly lacks the months or years of very determined work that are needed to bring that idea to fruition. Everyone has an idea for a movie, yet almost all of them have no mental images of their "film". If you can visually see any part of your future movie in your mind, then you're one step ahead of the game...preferably you can come up with several scenes in your mind's eye very quickly. But even if you do that...what are you going to do about the other hour and a half or so of screen time? Just fill it up to "complete" your movie?...i.e. wing some ideas that seem o.k. until you get to the good parts of your "idea"?

Uh..no. If you are just filling up time, your script/movie probably isn't even close to good. That's why you need to spend months researching story structure, how to visually write, and all the nuances that go into telling a story. Even then, you have to spend months developing your story before you even begin to write it. Maybe it's easier for other people, but I can't tell you enough how much effort and time it takes just to develop ideas (within a story), create mental images for those ideas...and string them together into a coherent story. And you know what? Usually I'll come up with a better idea and go back and change it all again.

And that's the last part. Rewriting and lots and lots of time. Everyone has an idea, but who takes hundreds or thousands of hours to actually develop that into a really good story and write it all out and then rewrite it until its presentable? Even most of the people who actually do finish something, kind of winged it and didn't put in the hard work needed to get it right. And of the small few who do, even then it doesn't always turn out the way you hoped.

A good example, I've watched hundreds, perhaps thousands of movies, read countless novels, wrote several short stories, short films, one feature length script so far, even shot and edited a 30 minute documentary last year, but I still study every day to improve my writing and my story sense. Never stop learning and never assume you know enough. It's when you think you know everything that you'll find you know nothing, and it takes a lot for me to say that because my wife still believes that I think I know everything. :lol:

We can all march forward, but marching forward with blind enthusiasm will just get you hit by a bus, figuratively speaking.

Last edited:
First off, thank you all for the warm welcome and replies. I have found this site to be very helpful. Most of my questions were answered from your replies and looking into other threads. The only thing I couldn't find is exactly how distribution works. There were many threads on this but none had info on how it works. When you send the film to distributors do they buy it from you with one settlement? Or do you get profit based on how it sells? I'm not greedy or anything. If I do in the future make a film I want to be distributed it will cost loads of money to create the scenes. I understand the film may not even be accepted but its a risk I am willing to take.

Thanks ahead of time

Each deal is very different.

When you get to the stage where you have a sellable, marketable finished product you will make a
deal with the distributor based on what they think is best for them. If you can get an upfront fee
and a larger percentage of the sales that's an excellent deal. Distributors pay the fees and offer the
percentages based on what they believe - in their experience - the film will make. They, too, take a
gamble just like the filmmaker.

Most movies made on a low budget (say under $200,000) without a recognizable star have a very
limited appeal to the general audience. A genre film (horror, erotic thriller, gross out comedy) can
often attract an audience without stars. Which is why you see so many being made. But a
distributor will not pay an upfront fee and offer only a small percentage of the sales.

But there are so many variations that people will jump in with their opinion and experience that is
very different than this scenario.

Another element to a good story, that is actually separate from the idea, is character development. What makes a story unique, in my opinion, more than anything, is the quality of the characters. If a story does poor character development, it could be a great story, but I really won't get emotionally invested. It's likely that I won't recommend the movie to my friends, and soon I'll forget I even saw it.

I think I'm a great example of someone who is very well read. I am 43 years old and I'm a heavy reader. I've also seen a good number of movies. Although I really appreciate a well written story or screenplay, and I've written several short stories myself, my stories suck. I'm bad at it. I have no talent for it. I'm pond scum. :D By the way, if you want an example of a master of character development, read a Stephen King book. Of everything I've read, Stephen King can get into peoples' heads and expose their most intimate thoughts like no other author.

Unfortunately, Stephen King's work doesn't necessarily translate well to movies. If you've read the book, don't see the movie, but if you haven't read the book, the movies are pretty good.

Doug

Jijenji don't mind but now i think your are trying to make me scared of these nice and humble.people.i believe everyone over here is sensible and knows that every one has its own point of view and believes.....when i am saying anything against the statment of any expert it does'nt mean i am saying he is wrong...but even i have my own faith and no body can change it.i am sorry to say if some one think that i am insulting him then he cant be a filmmaker and cant be a normal person.because film-making is a team work where patience is the first thing and ego has no space.now you decide yourself people over here are trues filmmakers or not???i believe they are true filmmakers because they have the qualities of patience and 0 % ego......

the biggest problem while communicating via net is that the tone is something else and the person other side thinks something else..

i have been visiting this site for few months and have raised lot of questions. and i found that every one is loving and kind. if they don't like some thing they mention it like as i posted an lighting topic...but i believe no one here is so crazy that he will feel insulted if i express my point of view.........

you gave a lot of details about script and this and that

answer me one thing only
can you write a good script without a good story??

for many people or should i say for many filmmakers a good story is nothing but for me it is the beginning..you can say it is like suppose if Bill Gates have 1 million US dollalr.it might be nothing for him but it can be a lot for me........

remember one thing a thinking of a pro and a starter can never be same......and even it is possible they both are right ...though thinking of experienced guy will be more preferable but it does'nt mean that the young one is completly wrong.....

its just like for some one something is nothing but for other person that '' something '' can be ''something'' though not everything

VPTurner

i never said i know everything.................i just compared myself from Moraga that i am lucky that at-least i can think a story and i believe there is no end to knowledge and filmmaking..................so how can i think that i know everyhting...

suppose if i knew everything than i would have been guiding people here like you.but you all know i am always asking you people not guiding you people so it s clear that i am a learner and at a very low level..............very low level..

Back