• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Before writing a screenplay

Ok I have my idea. I know what I want to write. I have the characters set. The location is either UK setting or USA. Now the problem is how do I start. What do you do before you start writing?

Know what venue your completed film product will be distributed through.

Youtube.
Film festival; local, regional, national, or international.
Looking for a distributor to pick it up?
International distributor.
DIY VOD.

Then spec and budget accordingly before writing.

I would suggest you open a blank Word document and just start writing. Don't worry about format; just write.

Write everything you see in each scene and let your characters wander through the blank pages of your imagination.

I start with the characters and the setup. I like to know what is going to happen to my characters and who they are as people. Once I have that, it's easier to write believable situations and dialog.

I start with a basic plot idea. Then I develop it further, as well as developing the characters. Then I decide on the outcome (or multiple possible outcomes that I decide on when the time comes) and then I start writing a first draft.

Before writing your script, talk to people about your story.

See if their eyes glaze over, and if they change the topic of conversation as soon as they get a chance.

I start with a basic plot idea. Then I develop it further, as well as developing the characters. Then I decide on the outcome (or multiple possible outcomes that I decide on when the time comes) and then I start writing a first draft.

good info! so in other words just write a treatment with 3 acts (10 pages). after that start writing the 1st draft.

am I getting this right? do I have to write 1 or 2 pages about the characters? or just simple lines should do it

Just start putting words on to paper. Don't stop. Daily. Make it a habit. You will have some thing in hand to show (if you have the guts to share). You will learn mountains. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO FAIL. We have all failed -- it is how we learn. Try to not to make the same mistakes twice. Network. Be honest. Be humble. Always give 100%. You may get there eventually. Just remember, quitters never win (a quote from playing sports in my past) and the only way out is through (Mark Twain -- I think).

Everything else will take care of itself. You got to start by writing.

My cheap 2 cents...

Thanks guys! Hope everyone had a good Christmas. I got some good books on screenwriting and filmmaking. The Screenwriters Bible. Master Shots. And The Portable Film School. Those are the main ones I got. I also got Film Editing which is connected to Master Shots collection.

Yes tons of movies. And I have movies similar. Oceans, Italian Job, Snatch, Lock, Stock, and two smocking barrels, resevior dogs. Those are the ones that got me my idea. Mainly from Snatch, but I just need to see how I am going to put my story together.

For me, I usually get random inspiration out of the blue in the form of a few scattered scenes. As I think about those scenes, the gaps in-between just sort of... crystallize into place and once I have enough plot points I can start writing and just fill in the details.

I've also had luck with just sitting down and writing. I have two practice screenplays I use to try out different ideas and interesting characters and plotlines start to emerge all on their own. That's fun too.

Back