• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Before VFX

one thing that annoys me though is not seeing the final image

That's kinda the point, though, Brendan. ;)

There was some VFX brewhaha at the Oscars, and this site is making the point that you're only going to see just this without their hard work after. :)

You can look up on the "open letter to Ang Lee" if you need to know more.

It's nice to see BTS stuff, although I'm really not a fan of CGI (esspecially not on this sort of scale). That "Resident Evil" pic is rediculous, there's literally nothing there... Nothing!

I've not exactly followed this whole "Life of Pi" VFX issue, but I did see a couple of posts on FaceBook (a good portion of my friends now have the green square as their profile pic), and it seem that people feel that the VFX team didn't get the recognition they deserved. But didn't "Life of Pi" win the award for best VFX? Is that not recognition enough?

I love seeing behind the scenes stuff but sometimes (especially it's films I haven't seen) the actors in front of the green screen or set means nothing to me. The adjustment bureau one was the only one I could relate to.

It is a good point that this is where we are without VFX, but that's why I like to see the final image so I can appreciate their awesomeness :)

I've not exactly followed this whole "Life of Pi" VFX issue, but I did see a couple of posts on FaceBook (a good portion of my friends now have the green square as their profile pic), and it seem that people feel that the VFX team didn't get the recognition they deserved. But didn't "Life of Pi" win the award for best VFX? Is that not recognition enough?

I'm not 100 percent on this, but I remember reading that the Hollywood visual effects houses are protesting the amount of budget that is set aside for VFX. And that the effects house that did Life of Pi has recently declared bankruptcy. They are also protesting that vfx house dont receive any portion of the profts. Also VFX companies are moving outside the United States, for places that offer tax breaks (like New Zeland, for example).

Back