• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Becoming a Camera operator

Okay. As some of you know I'm 18 as I've said several times before. I've recently realized what I want to do in the film industry, I've always known I wanted to be involved but nothing specific. Now I know. I would like to be a camera operator. I am thinking about taking a class at my local community college over the summer but I'm not entirely sure how useful to my career path this course would be. Its called "Media Communications Option in Liberal Arts Studies". The description of the course is below.

"The Media Communications Option in Liberal Arts Studies is designed to prepare a student for careers in broadcasting including television, radio production, performance, editing and writing. The curriculum combines academic classwork, in-studio production and on-air experiences. Students become proficient in broadcast vocal performance, television/radio production techniques and computerized non-linear editing. This program also prepares the student for transfer to four-year colleges that have broadcasting degrees."

Now I'm not sure if this would help me out at all as far as a career in camera operation goes. It is the only class related to the subject of film that I could find at any community colleges in my area. So how useful would this class be in your open opinions? I know it may be a bit hard to know but from what the description says what exactly does it sound like I would be doing during the course, its a bit confusing to me.

Now that question is just part one. Lets say this course is for me. What then. Say I complete it. What exactly should my approach be to becoming a camera operator. I've read that you start off as 4th camera operator. Then work for one to two years on that, then can get promoted to 3rd camera operator and so on. I also read that a regular camera operator for a news crew or something of that nature make around $30,000 a year while camera operators for larger film crews can make much much more. How true is this. And I have really no preference for what field I would like to be involved in as long as there is a camera on my shoulder. What would any of you guys suggest? How should I start assuming I finish the course during the summer. My mother has a friend who produces music videos, and I know I should make contacts, so what would be my next step?

If you take that class or not, the path is about the same.

You will start by volunteering on no budget movies - usually
as a cameratech or 2nd assistant camera handling the
camera reports, organizing tapes/media, running media to
the editors, that kind of thing. You will volunteer as a
camera operator on student films. If you can afford it you
will purchase a nice camera and volunteer on just about
every non paying gig you can find. You will build your
contacts and your skill level.

The path to working with film cameras is about the same.
You will need to learn to load all the different mags for all
the different cameras. You will volunteer on as many gig
you can find that are shooting on film and learn the ins
and outs of the cameras.

In the meantime you will operate as often as you can.
Hook up with a newbie DP who is willing to let you operate.
Hook up with as many new DP's as you can find. DP's love
to work with camera ops they know and trust.

If you want to head into ENG the path is about the same.
You need to get your hands on as many ENG cameras as
you can. A good operator knows everything about every
camera.

So you can take the class, but at the same time you need
to make the contacts. The music video producer seems
like the best place to start. He knows DP's. Hit all your local
news stations and talk to the camera operators. See if any
of them offer internships.

The money can be good. Here in LA (and other big cities) an
ENG operator will make much more that 30 large a year -
that's what a camera tech or 2nd AC will make. Film camera
operators can make even more if they are in demand. But