• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Basic structure of a scene

Could someone help me out? I've never written a screenplay before, but since a movie idea I want to continue developing, I'd like to know what the basic screenwriting structure for a single scene would be like. That way I can just write each scene. It's a movie idea that I am personally proud of and I'd like to have as much creative control over it as I can.

Go online and do a search for screenwriting software. There are plenty of plug-ins for MS Word and freeware programs that will help you get the formatting down. And there are some great books out there to teach you about form and how to write for screen.

In the end, those will be far better than what anyone here can say.

Demosthenes X said:
Go online and do a search for screenwriting software. There are plenty of plug-ins for MS Word and freeware programs that will help you get the formatting down.

Do you know any good freeware programs for OS X? I've looked at a bunch of software sites to no avail. I'd eventually like to get Final Draft or a similar screenwriting program, but that'll have to wait till I make more money and am writing longer scripts. It's hard to justify $150 some dollars for 10-15 page scripts. :?

thanks for your help guys. i eventually used script nurse to get Slang 2.1 to brainstorm before I worry about the script. there are still some plot-holes anyways, so this will help me consolidate.

again, thank you.

Back