• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Basic Lighting Kit

I know it's kind of a dumb question, since lighting possibilities are almost endless, but I'm looking for a basic kit for 3 point lighting.

I have a Lowel Tota light that is in good condition (currently has 750 watt bulb). I'm looking for gently used Lowel Omni lights, two of them.

What I have now are several of the little Sima LED lights that I've used for ENG, but they don't fill up a set very well.

I have used light stands already, as well as a reflector.

Ideally I'd like something very versatile, that could handle interviews as well as doing short films.

Also, I keep reading about these China ball lights. Where do I get one of them?

Thanks, all.

Thanks. However, still doesn't answer what a basic lighting kit should consist of. Tungsten? Fluorescent? LED? HMI?

I see a lot of fluorescent lights on TV interviews. Softlights I suppose are good too.

Maybe I should ask what people like and use the most. Or how they got started.

I got started with those clamp-on work lights - we called them
scoop lights. I added a big "shop light" on a stand and some
foam core for bounce. I got some used Colortran floodlights. The
first kit I bought was a Lowel/Tota - I'm still using it.
Ideally I'd like something very versatile, that could handle interviews as well as doing short films.
You can never have too many lights.

Get a four (or better yet six) light Lowel/Tota kit, a couple of China
balls and some flags and you'll be set.
Of course you already used Google, right?

You can get a china ball/china lantern at most stores like Home Depot or Target or Walmart (if you like child labor from a 3rd world country and want little kids to lose their digits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLhaIMdyf4g

china balls

I guess I could have looked harder on Google. I just didn't know what I was looking for.

I do feel sorry for the exploited labor in these countries. But I will tell you, you have few if any options if you want to buy elsewhere. I looked at toasters recently for my mom. Every last one of them was from China. So you could have any country you wanted, as long as it was China.

But China balls have to come from China, don't they? (a joke)

But China balls have to come from China, don't they? (a joke)

YEAHH and French fries ?? HMMMMM Ok FREEDOM Fries.

China Balls ? OHH the manufacture them ? I was thinking of poor castrated people..nevermind

Sad but true. Figure if they did not have the kids working, they would starve, so whatta ya do???

I support single mothers who dance on stages and swing around on poles

Last edited:
Back