Barbies? Really?

So I've got about 22 weeks of pre-production on a feature. Trying to come up with everything I can to make things go smoothly.

How is this for an idea... I'm going to shoot the entire script using Barbies for framing and to help figure out camera set ups.

I've seen barbie doll storyboards before and they were very effective in getting the idea across. I'm considering trying this in the future as my past storyboards have not always been the most polished/clear thing to look at.

I've done all kinds of boards... and drawing them really is a pain in the ass when you can just use barbies. I tried legos but they are too small for getting decent focus.

Barbies seem like the perfect size and if I can do the entire movie this way, it's going to make setting up and getting shots soooo much easier.

My only concern would be actually getting the angles you are picturing. I'm not a cinematogrpaher, but wouldn't you need completely different focal lengths to achieve the same results on something that's 1/10th the scale?

My only concern would be actually getting the angles you are picturing. I'm not a cinematogrpaher, but wouldn't you need completely different focal lengths to achieve the same results on something that's 1/10th the scale?

Yes, you would. And it will be incredibly difficult to get even similar focal lengths, depending on the lenses you are using, and what their close focus distance is.

You can use software to do this. PreVis is an example.

Alternatively, you can simply take shots from previously made movies that match yours. All you need is a lot of films and editing software.

I think it's overkill. Really, how long does it take to frame a shot?

In my opinion, for most shoots, all you really need is a comprehensive shot list. Framing can be done on the day of the shoot.

Complicated action sequences need storyboards. Everything else just needs good coverage.

I think it's overkill. Really, how long does it take to frame a shot?

In my opinion, for most shoots, all you really need is a comprehensive shot list. Framing can be done on the day of the shoot.

Complicated action sequences need storyboards. Everything else just needs good coverage.

FWIW, the only time I ever 'shoot the boards' based on comprehensive boards is on TVCs and other similar productions where the client and Producer need to make sure they're 'getting what they pay for' in a sense.

For narrative work, I will put together a shot list with the Director, which we'll stick to 90% of the time, but frame up based on the blocking and what works on the day. I find boards for strict framing can be stifling, though I also believe they can be incredibly handy for other departments to get a sense of what we're shooting. Even when we do have boards (on narrative work), however, I use them as a 'gist of what we're shooting' rather than an absolute frame reference.

For narrative work, I will put together a shot list with the Director, which we'll stick to 90% of the time, but frame up based on the blocking and what works on the day. I find boards for strict framing can be stifling, though I also believe they can be incredibly handy for other departments to get a sense of what we're shooting. Even when we do have boards (on narrative work), however, I use them as a 'gist of what we're shooting' rather than an absolute frame reference.

Heh. Sometimes I forget that most filmmakers work on productions that have enough crew to have multiple "departments". I can see how a storyboard can be useful in the way that you describe. :)

Heh. Sometimes I forget that most filmmakers work on productions that have enough crew to have multiple "departments". I can see how a storyboard can be useful in the way that you describe. :)

Generally, boards are handy for the Art Department, to get a sense of what they need to dress. Sometimes it's simply easier to show a picture of what the frame's going to be similar to, rather than try and explain what we're going to see and what's going to happen.

For G&E, overhead diagrams are probably better, but even then I tend to 'fly by the seat of my pants' in a sense (i.e. working without strict lighting diagrams), mostly because I like to see what lights are doing, rather than be 'set' on lighting decisions you've made on a diagram. Even knowing what certain lights do, and knowing the blocking, you can't always predict every aspect of the way a light's going to look, especially when working on location where you are bound by the limitations of the location, and as much as you'd like to put a certain light anywhere you want, it's often not possible to do so.

I looked into Daz Studios... and it's pretty nice... but overly complicated... at least for my brain.

I'm trying to do a feature in 3 weeks and the more I can share the vision with the rest of the crew, the better. In the time it would take me to generate the 3d models, I can buy a lot of barbies and accessories for 50 bucks and do the majority of the shots. Yes, the DOF won't be accurate, but that's not the point. The point is that I don't have time to "try" too many things on location. So the idea is to get exactly what is needed and then use the extra time for "discovery".

And yes, it all works much better with Barbies instead of babies. ;)

I can buy a lot of barbies and accessories for 50 bucks and do the majority of the shots. Yes, the DOF won't be accurate, but that's not the point.

Don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to discourage you from your plans. By all means, do try it out, it might work great (and if it does, please share on here!)

That being said, I just want to clarify what I meant before about the focal length problem. It really has nothing to do with DOF or anything like that. It has more to do with framing. For example a longer focal length is going to make your subject appear closer to your background/other subject, whereas a shorter one will make them seem farther apart. It's also going to effect how much you are able to get in the frame while maintaining the angle you are visualizing.

I agree with you though, that you should steer clear of software. They have large learning curves and really are no easier for a complete beginner than teaching yourself to draw with pencil and paper.

In the end, do what works for you! Best of luck with the project :D

Don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to discourage you from your plans. By all means, do try it out, it might work great (and if it does, please share on here!)

That being said, I just want to clarify what I meant before about the focal length problem. It really has nothing to do with DOF or anything like that. It has more to do with framing. For example a longer focal length is going to make your subject appear closer to your background/other subject, whereas a shorter one will make them seem farther apart. It's also going to effect how much you are able to get in the frame while maintaining the angle you are visualizing.

I agree with you though, that you should steer clear of software. They have large learning curves and really are no easier for a complete beginner than teaching yourself to draw with pencil and paper.

In the end, do what works for you! Best of luck with the project :D

Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to put it up when I get something done.

1502589_10153609565455273_33309136_o.jpg

Back