Back to my Light Kit Obsession

My name is Wheat and Im a gearaholoic.

So, Iv been holding the buy stuff jones at bay for a few months, but over the last few days I relapsed...

Recent lighting purchases
c-stand with two gobo heads and extension arm
3 1k mini-lights (1 colortan mini-lite and 2 B&M Mini Mac)
2 Mathews swivel frames with various diffusion and reflective panels (like small butterflies that you can slide diffusion\reflector panels into)
Colortran weighted boom
large gaffer grip

Im most excited about the cstand and the 1k mini lights. The mini lights are tiny and portable compared to my pile of 500w photo flood scoop lights. I now have a complete 3 pt. kit that fits in a small duffle I can carry with one hand.

Question about those mini lights? Any risk of UV burn from the open face quarts bulb?

hi wheat,

the open faced tungstan lights use a bulb that is made with uv protection which is incorporated

into the glass bubble, so there is no need for any extra protection.

for your safety do use a wire screen on the lights to protect your talent from flying glass if

they shatter which they are liable to do on rare occaisions.

if they dont come with wire screens you can make some from steel mosquito wire.

also the bubbles are very fragile and the filament will break at the slightest knock, always

carry plenty of spares, (i once went through 3 on one gig).

when you switch them off wait 2 min before moving them and never move them when

they are on.

cheers

you can use any metal mesh that is fine enough to contain the exploding glass pieces.

i use steel mosquito mesh because it is cheap easily available and simple to cut with heavy duty
scissors or tin snips.

it does act as a scrim but open faced lights put out plenty of light and i always use them with
soft boxes, diff or grid cloth so it is not a problem.

cheers

Back