• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Back Door Video Light

Ok, heres my situation.

Daughter is having a dance themed birthday party.
We have a cool mirror ball, but no light to shine on it.
I have want of some lighting equipment for my video hobby.

I have manipulated the situation that will allow me to speed up to $75 on a light that will meet the party needs. I can rig something MUCH cheaper.. but maybe I can find a simple light that I can use for this and still have great utility for my video projects...

ideas?

Ok, heres my situation.

Daughter is having a dance themed birthday party.
We have a cool mirror ball, but no light to shine on it.
I have want of some lighting equipment for my video hobby.

I have manipulated the situation that will allow me to speed up to $75 on a light that will meet the party needs. I can rig something MUCH cheaper.. but maybe I can find a simple light that I can use for this and still have great utility for my video projects...

ideas?

Dude, I'd get some hardware lights from lowes or whatever. Throw some diffusers/barn doors/etc. on there and white balance the camera (if it has it). That's it. Instant lighting kit.

How soon is the party?

You should be able to find a nice fresnel light on ebay for under $75 (I just bought 6 for a total of under $300, including shipping)

Obviously it will be seriously overkill for shining at a mirror ball for a party, (I think you know this already) but it'll get you some gear. :)

Worst case scenario, pinspots are cheap, and they're what are generally used for mirror balls.

Dude, I'd get some hardware lights from lowes or whatever. Throw some diffusers/barn doors/etc. on there and white balance the camera (if it has it). That's it. Instant lighting kit.

You misunderstood my question. Im using the EXCUSE of lighting a mirror ball for a party to get MORE light KIT! I have the hardware store (work lights and scoops) kit already :)

Last edited:
Silly, you wouldn't use a heisenberg on a mirror ball. :P

I would check e-bay, will, do you have any specific sellers you went through for those (or are they just one-offs?)

They were all one offs.

Pyramid Films in LA generally has good prices on used fresnels, but last time I looked at their stock it was pretty much all 2K's and larger.. and I don't know that they have anything under $75 anyway.

As of right now.. the seller peterodio has got 3 600watt fresnels, with barndoors listed on ebay with a starting bid at $30.. only one of the three has any bids... only an hour left on the listings.

Its at home waiting for me :) Just in time as the party is Friday night!

This thing has bare leads, so Ill need to add the power, which begs me to ask:

Is it customary to run a switch inline, or just rely on external controller\extension cord for on\off action?

Thanks

of course, since I blew the blub the night before the party, I ended up buying a pin spot from my local guitar center anyway.. it was so cheap, I bought 2 ($15 a piece) .. my wife took it in stride.. and when the HUGE box came with my new old tripod.. well.. she just raised an eyebrow..

I used the pinspot (with blue gell) on the 2nd shot of this sequence..

http://www.vimeo.com/9477856

Last edited:
Back