• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Audio/Video Speed

During the first day of shooting, our boom operator/sound recorder didn't properly record the sound, so the audio files that should have been recorded that day at the same time as the video are nonexistent. I had the actors re-record their lines the next day, but some lines aren't recorded at the same speed as the video. Should I time-stretch the video to try and make it work? I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 12. Will PluralEyes fix this problem? I already have the entire video portion of the film edited and having never used PluralEyes before, I don't want it altering the video, causing me to re-edit. I know the ideal solution would be to have the actor re-record his lines at the proper tempo, but I don't believe this is an option. If it can't be fixed, I could always use the on board mic from the camera, but I would prefer not to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
if you don't have a clapper board, that'll be $30 well spent.

Also called a Slate - as they were literally made out of slate way back when...

Clapboard-Std.jpg

It may vary a bit (at least from the shoots on which I've worked and the endless slates that I've heard in audio post), but visually and verbally slating should be the last thing done before the calls for action.

1st AC: Let's clear the set!

Wait....

1st AC: Let's go, we're on the clock, people...

Wait....

1st AC: Set is clear!

Director: Camera!

Cam-Op: Camera has speed!

Director: Sound!

PSM: Quiet Please! Quiet Please!!! Quiet Please!!!!! Will Everyone SHUT THE F*<k UP!!!!!!

Wait........

PSM: Sound has speed!

Director: Sticks!

Camera Loader: Scene One A, Take One - Mark!

(SMACK of the sticks)

1st AC (if needed): Background Action!

Director: Aaaaannnd...... Action!!!

Last edited:
I will only give advice from my experience then, and not from what other sound designers, etc, tell me.

It has nothing to do with you helping by relaying information said by other professionals, it's your competence and common sense I'm bringing into question. If you're incapable of learning the basics of being able to book a room where you'll hold an audition, can you really be trusted to relay relatively complex post production audio advice?

Back