• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Audio format for film

This is a noob question for sure but I just want to be 100% sure of this before I start getting tracks in....

What format should I request a band to send me their track on for use in a film? I'm guessing flac but I don't want to seem like a clown if I ask for it one way only to have to go back later and ask for a different format. Can't seem to find any info by searching the 'net.

Cheers,
mv

This is a noob question for sure but I just want to be 100% sure of this before I start getting tracks in....

What format should I request a band to send me their track on for use in a film? I'm guessing flac but I don't want to seem like a clown if I ask for it one way only to have to go back later and ask for a different format. Can't seem to find any info by searching the 'net.

Cheers,
mv

I read an article the other day saying if you are using FCP X .aiff/.aif is best. Also I have read others say .wav are better since the audio isn't compressed. I have been told to stay away from MP3s due to the compression but I am sure some of the audio people could tell you more then I can on it.

.aif or .wav are really the only ones you want to go near. They're uncompressed (make sure they are rendered as "uncompressed" or "lossless" though, .wav CAN be compressed. I don't know if .aif can...).

You don't want to START with compressed audio (mp3, ogg...) since your audio will most likely get compressed again later on down the chain anyway. Start with as a high a quality as you can. Don't limit yourself from the beginning.

Most bands put out the final mix as a 16bit/44.1kHz AIF since that's what would end up on a CD. This is perfectly acceptable, I get these all the time. If they have a 24bit/48kHz version (highly doubtful) this would obviously be much better. .WAV is also fine. MP3 is a compressed format, but most won't notice the difference.

Back