• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Audio Difficulties...

So my editor got me a rough cut of my latest short and one thing I noticed right away were audio problems. For an indie film on no budget they aren't super bad. You can hear everyone very well and the ambient is cut down quite a bit. However, I want to have great audio through out. My biggest problem is you can notice the levels shift ever so slightly. Being in post now, are there any programs from CS3 that you guys would use to help clean it up? We are using a PC with every thing from CS3. Any other info you guys would need to help you out let me know. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the wonderful world of audio post!

Checkerboard the dialog by character - you put each character on a separate audio track and trim all of the ambient sound.

Bring in the room tone specific to the scene.

Use crossfades to blend the dialogs and room tone together.

Use volume automation to smooth out the dialog levels.

EQ to taste.

Trying to remember.. did they remove Audition from the adobe suite when cs3 came out or when cs4 came out.. I think it was when cs4 came out.

Anyway, if you can use audition, it's got a spectrum filter tool that lets you lasso a noise signal, which lets you take really precise control over noise reduction..

Alcove covered the rest... all I'd add is that you should try to use software for audio editing, rather than trying to handle it all within the NLE, which really isn't the right tool for the job. ;)

Hello!
I am a PostProduction audio engineer looking to add a few small projects onto my reel, and would love to take a look at you film to see if I can help smooth out your audio problems. PM me to talk more. Thanks!

David Kerins

Back