Audio assistance!

I want to know what the best set up, from personal preferences, would be for recording a person speak in front of a group of people. I.E. A speaker in front of a group of 15-30 people. I would have two cameras, lighting and editing is not the situation, but the audio is. I don't want the responsive noise from the crowd, with say if I have a h4n at his feet, directed towards the speaker. Should I use two seperate mics(which ones would you all perfer) on two other sides of the room behind the group. I am assuming a good shotgun mic with the whole pole set up. Money is a factor, but does not effect immensely, but too much 1000$ plus is just past my budget. So what would be a good set up for those situations. I would be doing these videos in a decent sized room. People would be moving in their chairs, maybe coughing here and there, I just want to be able to get the best affordable audio from my speaker as much as possible. ALL INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! This can help me out a bunch!

Thanks,
Nate

I shot a gig like this, with a bigger crowd. I had 2 cameras (one with a shotgun plugged into it). I used the camera with the shotgun mic to get a podium profile shot, with the mic right next to the podium.

The problem I didn't foresee.... The guy speaking kept going away from the podium! He would walk into the crowd and everywhere else. I got him with the second camera, which was handheld. I had to be close to get decent sound. When he was behind the podium, it sounded great.

I would ask your speaker if he planned on staying behind the podium or not. Just him knowing what is best for you might prompt him to stay behind the mic.

Is it a news/interview type of situation, if so, you can put a handheld mic in the person's hand and have it be within 6" of the speakers mouth. GREAT signal/noise ratio there ;)

I'm not exactly sure of what you are trying to accomplish, and there are still a lot of gaps in your information.

How big is the room?

Is there a house audio system and what is included with that system?

Is the speaker going to be stationary or mobile?

Will the audience be asking questions?

What cameras are you using? (Audio specs - number of channels, etc.)

What audio gear do you already have?

Back