Atomos Ninja 2 or something (more affordable) like it

Hi everybody,

So I am going to try to get more bang for my buck by grabbing some uncompressed footage from my G10 via HDMI out (oh and can I do the HDMI out thingy and record the compressed footage via the normal card route at the same time? Why? Just curious, is all). The Atomos Ninja 2 is the big dog on the block and it has the price to back it. I would love, love, love to have one but alas, poor Koshy, you cannot afford one.

So, I bring my cause to the IT faithful - what are my (more affordable) alternatives? Oh and though I will research this too I wanna also ask the pros in the room - what's the workflow for doing this on a shoot?

Thank you, thank you for your time folks.

Sam

The Ninja is the more affordable solid state recorder option out there. Ikan has a monitor that will record 720p inside the monitor and does great, but it's compressed. The AJA and Black Magic options are good too, but more expensive and not as portable.

We use the Samurai pretty often and record ProRes. It does a good job most of the time, but definitely has it's quirks. We had 4, only two work solid. Had to send the other two in for repair.

The Ninja is pretty damn good, and is what I generally have seen on set here (though that might be because their offices are in the city ;)). I've also seen the AJA Ki Pro on set, but that's a $5k unit.

Blackmagic makes the Hyperdeck Shuttle which is about 1/3 of the price, though I've never used it so I can't tell you how it compares.

Thanks Paul and jax. Thanks for your responses. Most appreciated.

So the Atomos it is - better start saving up the pennies. Until then I am going to have to see how I can push that 4:2:0 compressed footage of the G10 and even more so - how I can inter-cut it with my 60D footage when the story calls for them to coexist (any pointers on that?).

Thanks again.

Back