Aspiring screenwriter turned aspiring director.

My goals/desires in the film industry have mainly been focused on screenwriting. I have invested a lot of time and money into developing the craft of screenwriting. Directing is something I have viewed as a romantic endeavor. I love the idea of bringing a world to life through a camera, but that has seemed like a pipe dream to me. Growing up I had zero access to camera's, equipment, education so I haven't pursued it at all.

Recently(since I found this site) I have begun to think more about directing being accessible. I think I want to try. I am looking to the great resource that is this site, for advice. I am looking for "essential" books on film making.

Also I am thinking of doing a short, and I have no idea about what kind of equipment I will need. I have been searching and learning, but If you all would direct me to your favorite articles/blogs/resources/whatever I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance

Casey

Casey,

I don’t have any info recommendations, but it’s great to hear you are pursuing this next chapter in your creative adventure. I liked the writing and advice I have seen of yours, and I think you will make some cool stuff. Don’t overlook Student and/or Indie production possibilities in your area. Maybe you can give someone a great short script, and in return they can teach you some of the technical ins and outs of how they shoot it.

-Thanks-

You could hire a DP and Camera Operator and focus on the directing part. Just an idea unless you really want to learn camera too. Directing and doing the camera work is two different things. You could do both though to save money and gain experience.

Casey,

I've pretty much gone down the same path. I started out as an aspiring screenwriter, even wrote for a competition once (it did not go so well). I have no formal training so tackling a full feature screenplay proved challenging for me. So I thought I would work on the finer aspects of the craft by wring shorts. One thing led to another and next thing you know I am working on my first short and directing has proved to be a warmer passion for me than writing - that said I am directing a short that I wrote.

I want to fully concentrate on directing but I wanted to have some knowledge of the other departments as well, something to help me understand what my DP is saying, what to expect from my AD, lighting, art direction, etc... I have a ton of books and DVDs that I have purchased, read and watched on the various departments (a bit of a library) and will not attempt to inundate you with them all, but here are some of my favorites that have helped me in my efforts for my first short:

Cinematography
Placing Shadows, Lighting Techniques for Video Production, Third Edition by Chuck Gloman and Tom Letourneau (Focal Press)

Cinematography Theory and Practice, Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors and Videographers by Blaine Brown (Focal Press)

Motion Picture and Video Lighting, second Edition by Blaine Brown (Focal Press)

Camera
Grammar of the Shot, Second Edition by Roy Thompson and Christopher J. Bowen (Focal Press)

Digital Video Secrets by Tony Levelle (Michael Wiese Productions)
Master Shots by Christopher Kenworthy (Michael Wiese Productions)

Directing
Film Directing Fundamentals, See Your Film Before Shooting by Nicholas T. Proferes (Focal Press) - Excellent Read

film directing shot by shot, visualizing from concept to screen by Steven D. Katz (Michael Wiese Productions)

Sound
Producing Great Sound for Film and Video, Third Edition by Jay Rose (Focal Press)

Editing
Grammar of the Edit, Second Edition by Roy Thompson and Christopher J. Bowen (Focal Press)

Creating Rhythms, Shaping the Film Edit by Karen Pearlman (Focal Press)

General
Digital Filmmaking 101, Second Edition by Dale Newton & John Gaspard (Michael Wiese Productions)

Making a Winning Short by Edmond Levy (Holt Paperback)

DVDs
The Ultimate Scheduling and Budgeting Kit Produced by Jason J. Tomaric (Quantus Pictures, Inc.)

The Ultimate Directing Actors Kit, Produced by Jason J. Tomaric (Quantus Pictures, Inc.)

Plus Training DVDs from VASST

Those are some of my favorites as far as getting me to where I am at the moment. I still have a way to go and theory can only take one so far as Directors must direct. However, these few items I listed above augmented with the valuable insight and information obtained from actual directors on this site have been rather invaluable to me thus far.

This has been a bit long winded but this is a topic that can get me going on and on. Good luck, good health and bet wishes for great success and always remember to enjoy your passion.

You could hire a DP and Camera Operator and focus on the directing part. Just an idea unless you really want to learn camera too. Directing and doing the camera work is two different things. You could do both though to save money and gain experience.

Agreed. I am about to direct my second film, and I barely know which end of the camera to point at the actors, that's what a DP and an operator are for. I know whether I like what I see on the monitor or not, but the technical aspects of how they got it there hold little interest for me.

Great advise, I appreciate it. For now I would just plan on directing and leave the tech stuff to those who know what they are doing. I want to learn that, but a first time director/dp/cinematographer would probably be disastrous. I do intend to learn as much as possible though. I ordered a couple of those books above off of amazon. Thanks again. Hopefully shorts are to follow.

-Casey

No arguments here. I just like having some idea, even at a rudimentary level, of what the other departments do. As directors it is our job to ensure that our vision is portrayed and our responsibility to be able to communicate effectively with the other departments - communication that is a two way street. Plus as a new/aspiring director with limited experience, I need to know/feel/recognize when a given department is BSing me or doing things that could harm the shot and ultimately the project. I guess when you're breaking in that's the risk you take until you can find a crew you trust and work well with. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back