Aspect Ratios

....Does anyone know where I can find information on aspect ratios? Being in video, I know how to shoot and whatnot, but aspect ratios are something I need to learn about. It would be a shame to shoot something and have the process be made more difficult because I didn't know what I needed to about it.

...somebody send up a flare for me,...a website, or if any of you wonderful indietalk folks have any insight I would appreciate the information....

--spinner :cool:

HDversesSD.jpg

Hope this helps...

All I can say is after watching so much films and cinema, the wider the ratio, the more cinematic it looks to me.

I love scope. I love 2.35:1. I think I could die a happy man if I got to shoot all of my stuff in scope.

Good site Rob, but I don't think it's any more extensive than the couple I posted.. ;)

Wideshot: Agreed.. scope is grand. I'm cropping my current project to be similar to scope. it's not quite 2.35:1 but it's close.. it's actually a bit wider than that I think.

I always thought it was funny how, at least when viewing a film on the TV screen, the wider those black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, the more cinematic it looks. Of course, that just means it's a wider, more panoramic perspective, but on the TV it just looks like you've lost a whole lot of image :()

OrangeMango said:
I always thought it was funny how, at least when viewing a film on the TV screen, the wider those black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, the more cinematic it looks. Of course, that just means it's a wider, more panoramic perspective, but on the TV it just looks like you've lost a whole lot of image :()
I can't, for the life of me, convince any of my family that when you're watching a widescreen or letterboxed film, that you're seeing ALL of the film. Everyone of them are convinced that they cut the tops and bottoms of the film for some sort of artistic effect, but they complain that they're missing something. Being brought up in the 1940s dosen't help much. :bang: :mad: :cry:

Not even just being brought up in the 40s, people who are so used to watching things in 4:3 on a TV just assume that if the screen isn't filled with picture top to bottom, side to side they're not seeing everything. It's difficult for people to understand that if a film is either shot on a wider format, or composed for a wider format and then cropped to that size (as I'm doing with my current project) that they are indeed seeing more of the picture than they would if it were Pan & Scanned to fit the whole screen.

Perhaps they mentally block the notice that comes up before movies on the TV that say "This film has been edited for content and formatted to fit this screen" Oh well.. I used to be that way, but that was when I was a TV bum, and not as much into movies. Now I feel cheated having to watch something in 4:3 versus 16:9 or wider. ;)

Back