Arri Amira Price Revealed

I don't believe in conspiracies like that.
If someone knew a cure to cancer they would demonstrate it, then become world famous and go down in the history books.

Also there are many different kinds of cancer. Even if you were to cure breast cancer, for example, there would still be prostate cancer and it would likely require a different sort of cure.

I have a Blackmagic. The sensor is TINY, not even close to full size. And it's not so good in low light. Beautiful image, but nothing compared to Alexa.

Now you want an Alexa for <$5k? :P

I didn't understand a lot of the rest of your post. Except I kind of get the "spending millions on color science" because Alexa has been making cameras for years, whereas Blackmagic rushed their first camera out quickly, then came out with 2 new cameras the very next year. But none of them have full sensors, or as beautiful an image as the Alexas.
The Production Cam has a S35 sensor, but you're right the image is nowhere near as good as an Alexa. And the reason is the manpower and the money spent on research and development and getting their sciences right.

Blackmagic literally takes off the shelf parts, puts them together in a box and sells them.

Arri, by comparison, manufacture their own sensors. And you can see the difference

To put it another way - you could go and buy the same sensor that's in a Blackmagic camera, and make your own camera.
You could never buy the same sensor that's in an Alexa, RED or F65.

I've been reading a lot of updates about other companies coming out with RAW 2k, 4k, etc. cameras for cheaper price points (similar to the BMC) but it seems like nobody is hitting all the major specs that filmmakers want.

Which are what?

--
8salacious9 said:
There's a cure for cancer, but no drug company wants to sell it to anyone, it's far more profitable to drag on the need for regular treatment, then a new drug promising better things comes out but even then it's still not going to be the cure.
This is not really true. There's been a cheap drug found to help cancer in rats, but it has not been proven to work in humans, and not enough study has been done on the effect on humans
http://www.cancer.org/treatment/tre...landbiologicaltreatment/dichloroacetate--dca-

http://dca-information.pbworks.com/f/Metabolic Modulation of Glioblastoma with Dichloroacetate.pdf

Last edited:
full size sensor, prores, global shutter, option to go up to at least 60fps, good dynamic range, ability to effectively monitor and record sound

off the top of my head

full size sensor, prores, global shutter, option to go up to at least 60fps, good dynamic range, ability to effectively monitor and record sound

off the top of my head

... So a Blackmagic Production?

Here's the thing: Alexa is real average at monitoring audio! It has an uncommon 5-pin XLR input; and RED's audio controls are average and the pre-amps are not great. Audio guys I've worked with have had to create their own special cables for RED's inputs.

Most of the time they're only used for a guide track.

Neither RED nor Alexa have global shutter, at least not at their base option prices.

RED doesn't even record in ProRes or DNxHD. The F5 records in it's own proprietary format, and requires a $5,000 recorder for raw; C500 requires an ($5,000) external recorder just to get 2k, let alone raw, and the Alexa requires an external recorder to get raw (though the difference between 2k 4444 and ARRIRAW is negligible).

The cheapest external recorder for ARRIRAW is the Gemini, at ~$5k, the most popular is the Codex on-board, which is ~$10-$15k.

As far as I can tell, the cheaper cameras are actually better for those with lower budgets and less crew, as they have the options and features that are wanted by one or two man band setups.

$4k for 4k raw, balanced audio inputs with seperate level control, global shutter, 12ish stops of DR etc. on the Blackmagic.

Yep, the image is nowhere near as good, but I've already told you why that is - it's the same reason a car specifically designed for racing costs much more than a family car that happens to also be able to race.

Seems the more those on lower budgets get, the more they want ;) not even 10 years ago many would have just been happy just with a large sensor!

You can still get awesome images out of an HVX202 with a 35mm adapter. As always, it's more about the person than the equipment. I've seen footage shot with a Varicam and a 35mm adapter that looks miles better than stuff I've seen shot on a DSLR or Blackmagic, or even RED.

Not all that long ago, just a 35mm adapter cost as much as some DSLRs that can shoot video do today!

10 years ago, the Sony Z1 cost $5,000, came with 1/3" sensors, and could only record in interlaced formats.
The Sony F900 had 2/3" sensors, recorded in 1440x1080, at 29.976 as its max fps, and recorded onto incredibly expensive HDCAM tapes, which have 3:1:1 chroma subsampling @ 170Mbps compression. Cost ~$250k IIRC.

It's cheaper than ever to make great looking, high quality imagery!

Last edited:
Official US/NA pricing, just for giggles.

AMIRA Camera Set - $39,999*
AMIRA camera body
Handle (incl. mount, viewfinder cable (short/long), camera handle)
Camera software (1080i/1080p; 0.75-100fps; ProRes Proxy/LT/422; Rec709
3 fix Looks (in camera adjustable)
Knee & other video parameters
Peaking and Exposure tool (Zebra, False color)
HD-SDI input
AMIRA viewfinder MVF-1

AMIRA Advanced Camera Set - $44,850*
AMIRA camera body
Handle (incl. mount, viewfinder cable (short/long), camera handle)
Advanced license: 1080i/1080p; 0.75-200 fps; ProRes Proxy/LT/422/422HQ; Rec709/LogC; unlimited Looks functions; import Looks (ACT)
Knee & other video parameters; ASC CDL in-camera grading
HD-SDI input
Dynamic Auto Tracking White Balance
WiFi Remote UI
Bluetooth
Pre-record function
AMIRA viewfinder MVF-1

AMRIA Premium Camera Set - $51,500*
AMIRA camera body
Handle (incl. viewfinder mount, viewfinder cable (short/long), camera handle)
Premium license: 1080i/1080p/2K (2048 x 1152); 0.75-200 fps; ProRes Proxy/LT/422/422HQ/ProRes 4444 (SDI 444); Rec709/LogC; unlimited Looks functions (max 15 in cam), import Looks (ACT)
Knee & other video parameters; ASC CDL in-camera grading
HD-SDI input
Dynamic Auto Tracking White Balance
WiFi Remote UI
Bluetooth
Pre-record function
Import custom 3D LUTs
AMIRA viewfinder MVF-1
*All pricing, included equipment and features, is subject to change.

http://www.abelcine.com/store/ARRI-AMIRA-Camera/#tabs

Read one comment where someone claims to have been told that the first run of cameras for NA are all already spoken for by pre-orders. Hefty grain of salt on that, obviously.

Back