Arri Amira Price Revealed

This is going to be a great camera for indies. Pull the CF card out of the camera, load the ProRes files into your NLE, and you're ready to rock. No SSDs, no transcoding, no special software.

Personally I think I prefer SSD to CF cards. You can edit straight off those if need be. Probably the best way to look at them, in terms of a camera like the black magic that has a slot for a solid state drive, is to view them as roughly the same as a DV tape of yesteryear. Budget for x number of drives for your project, and treat those like the master copy -- at least until you've got a big storage device (many terabytes) to offload to.

That's probably the route I'm going to end up going when I get my BMCC. Granted, SSD's are a damn sight more expensive than a miniDV tape, but eventually the prices will come down even more than they already have

Personally I think I prefer SSD to CF cards. You can edit straight off those if need be. Probably the best way to look at them, in terms of a camera like the black magic that has a slot for a solid state drive, is to view them as roughly the same as a DV tape of yesteryear. Budget for x number of drives for your project, and treat those like the master copy -- at least until you've got a big storage device (many terabytes) to offload to.

That's probably the route I'm going to end up going when I get my BMCC. Granted, SSD's are a damn sight more expensive than a miniDV tape, but eventually the prices will come down even more than they already have

Except you could get a pack of 10 miniDV tapes for $30-$50, whereas one SSD costs ~$200+. And whilst they'll probably come down, I find it difficult to believe you'll ever find SSDs priced at $20-30.

Smaller, more inexpensive cards, and multiple card slots are better for a number of productions, especially non-narrative.

The issue with the way BMC has implemented their SSD storage is that it's totally uncompressed in raw, and so your file sizes are incredible.
You're generally better off recording to ProRes, but I'd rather two smaller hot-swappable cards that can be continually backed up to ensure you've got the day's footage (and if you lose the data on one, you've only lost an hour of shooting) than one large drive that contains everything on it - imagine if you have issues with it. Suddenly you've lost everything (if shooting in ProRes). It's also a damn expensive card if not shooting in ProRes. Plus, there's the often unacceptable downtime in switching out drives for work that's not narrative.

I couldn't imagine how you could possibly edit straight from your drives - you'd either have one timeline spanning multiple drives, and therefore need a large RAID array or drive dock so you can have them all in at once, or you'd have shot in ProRes and have everything on one drive which is a lot more dangerous.

Tapes are prone to issues, but a lot less than drives are. For each drive you purchase, you should factor in two, as you're going to need at least one backup. At least on tape, the rape itself was the backup once it had been ingested.

Last edited:
That is simply too high for the entry package that can't shoot Log-c, do the max fps, or resolve to 2k pixel width. I personally won't consider this for years... until used goes below 20k for the complete package. Simple as that.

That is simply too high for the entry package that can't shoot Log-c, do the max fps, or resolve to 2k pixel width. I personally won't consider this for years... until used goes below 20k for the complete package. Simple as that.

Why? It will still look better than anything out of a RED. And there was absolutely no way it was going to be released at an under $20k price point - Arri aren't competing with RED. I imagined ~$35k when it was announced.

Keep in mind that this is aimed primarily at doco shooters. Many doco shooters don't want to have to grade everything they shoot. Many don't need 120-200fps (and really, even on narrative I don't need more than 50-60fps 80% of the time). Many don't need more than 1080.

I think it's a weird pricing structure, for sure. But it's not aimed at the indie filmmaker - certainly not meant to be aimed at the exact same market as RED.

I'll be interested to see how this sells. I get the feeling it will sell pretty well.

I don't think it will be that much cheaper rentals-wise in the end, as most rental houses will need to purchase the highest-end one.

Last edited:
no way it was going to be released at an under $20k price point - Arri aren't competing with RED

The reference is to the used market price down the line - what happened with the F35 five years after release (250k to 10k)

I'll never shoot Red, no matter if free. They are in the permanent bad book - I was once a fan

Last edited:
The F35 is a weird beast, and not something I'd base my expectations of the market on.

That said, I've seen used Alexa bodies for $35-50k, so perhaps not out of the question to eventually be able to pick one up used for a lot cheaper (though I'm always wary of used camera purchases).

I'll be interested to see what happens with rental prices. As it is, the rental difference between an Alexa kit and an Epic kit is not huge, I wonder where a camera more expensive than an Epic, yet aimed at a lower budget market than an Epic, all the while being almost as feature-rich as an Alexa will sit for rental prices.

I guess time (and demand) will tell.

I'm not much of a camera guy so I'm going to throw this question out there...

What makes these cameras so expensive?

Why can't you have a camera with a full size sensor, ability to shoot RAW, good dynamic range, and a 2k (or more) image for, let's say $5,000?

Last edited:
Why can't you have a camera with a full size sensor, ability to shoot RAW, good dynamic range, and a 2k (or more) image for, let's say $5,000?

You can. Get a Blackmagic. The difference is Blackmagic uses essentially 'off-the-shelf' parts that it then assembles and sells.

A company like Arri spends years and large amounts of money in research and development, and manufacture their own parts - most importantly, their own sensor.

Literally the way things are wired can affect crosstalk, which is why every part is incredibly important.

That's why the image of an Alexa looks better than anything else - Arri have spent years and millions getting their sciences right (in particular colour science), and have brought out a camera/cameras that are far superior.

Unlike consumer products where things can be made up of the same parts, but with different price tags because of the brand, camera parts are manufactured by each seperate company.

That's why it's more expensive. In part, it's to do with market demand, but their product is superior and in an industry where budgets are huge and the majority of camera kits are rented, the purchase price isn't generally a huge factor.

Lenses are similar. The reason Cooke primes cost 50x as much as cheaper still lenses is the R&D and the technicians they employ.

And you can't really argue that Cooke s5's aren't better lenses than Canon EF-S lenses (whether it's better for your story is different).

Also, in terms of other professional products (I.e. OLED monitors), the reason they cost more than their consumer counterparts is they have a much lower tolerance for defects.

It would be a somewhat similar to argue that you should be able to get a decent Cinematographer for <$5,000 per day.
You can. And they might even still give you stuff that looks awesome. But it won't be Roger Deakins.

You can. Get a Blackmagic.

I have a Blackmagic. The sensor is TINY, not even close to full size. And it's not so good in low light. Beautiful image, but nothing compared to Alexa.

I didn't understand a lot of the rest of your post. Except I kind of get the "spending millions on color science" because Alexa has been making cameras for years, whereas Blackmagic rushed their first camera out quickly, then came out with 2 new cameras the very next year. But none of them have full sensors, or as beautiful an image as the Alexas.

I've been reading a lot of updates about other companies coming out with RAW 2k, 4k, etc. cameras for cheaper price points (similar to the BMC) but it seems like nobody is hitting all the major specs that filmmakers want.

Last edited:
There's a cure for cancer, but no drug company wants to sell it to anyone, it's far more profitable to drag on the need for regular treatment, then a new drug promising better things comes out but even then it's still not going to be the cure.

Think of cameras that way to filmmakers.

There's a cure for cancer, but no drug company wants to sell it to anyone, it's far more profitable to drag on the need for regular treatment, then a new drug promising better things comes out but even then it's still not going to be the cure.

Think of cameras that way to filmmakers.

Please cite your reliable reference. There are many people that would love to know what you know! :weird:

Sure if you have the pocket cinema, but the production camera has a large super 35 sensor

Oh I guess you are right. I have the BMC EF, so it's a little better than the Pocket camera, but I didn't realize the Production cam had the sensor.

If only I still had the $5,000 I had to pay to get mine over a year ago :/

Oh I guess you are right. I have the BMC EF, so it's a little better than the Pocket camera, but I didn't realize the Production cam had the sensor.

If only I still had the $5,000 I had to pay to get mine over a year ago :/

well i'm sure the production one will be outdated in another year too. seems to be how these things work

Please cite your reliable reference. There are many people that would love to know what you know! :weird:

theres been more than enough coverage on the subject, scientists themselves admit there is a cure already but is not profitable to drug companies.

as a taster: http://www.sott.net/article/228583-Scientists-cure-cancer-but-no-one-takes-notice

in the business world put simply, the method cannot be patented therefore money cannot be made from it, therefore no drug company in the world will touch it as they wont get money from it.

there are about another 100 articles about it, but i would have thought most human beings would have known that this was the situation.

Back