Are there lenses that keep focus longer than others?

im using a blackmagic pocket camera with a glidecam HD-1000. The lens is an old angenieux 17.5-70mm. I find it annoying how fast it goes out of focus when I dolly forward/backward. Are there any solutions to this? Would buying a newer lens hold focus longer?

im using a blackmagic pocket camera with a glidecam HD-1000. The lens is an old angenieux 17.5-70mm. I find it annoying how fast it goes out of focus when I dolly forward/backward. Are there any solutions to this? Would buying a newer lens hold focus longer?

Figure out what your acceptable DOF is, with a DOF calculator. Here's one of many:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

They make phone/tablet apps for this, too.

Maybe you need something to pull focus with, too. There are several cheap solutions on ebay & similar sites. Also expensive ones, I guess. :)

However, without knowing what your actual shot is, I dunno how specific an answer you can get to your problem. Sounds like you need more hands-on experimentation to me, though, with regards to how DoF actually works.

You were able to counter-balance that lens okay on a Glidecam 1000? It's heavy! :bag:

Figure out what your acceptable DOF is, with a DOF calculator. Here's one of many:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

They make phone/tablet apps for this, too.

Maybe you need something to pull focus with, too. There are several cheap solutions on ebay & similar sites. Also expensive ones, I guess. :)

However, without knowing what your actual shot is, I dunno how specific an answer you can get to your problem. Sounds like you need more hands-on experimentation to me, though, with regards to how DoF actually works.

You were able to counter-balance that lens okay on a Glidecam 1000? It's heavy! :bag:

Yeah the lens is a little too heavy, so I have to adjust the plate as far back as it can possibly go. The lens still points more toward the floor, but its still balanced enough that its not a big problem for me to hold it up steadily.

i dont really have time to learn about this stuff, do you guys think i should just trade in my pocketcam and lens and get a camcorder with autofocus?

If you want to be handling the camera, then yes... learn it.

If you don't have the patience for it, then hire someone (or make buddies with someone) who is interested in creating a great image. Swapping out your camera ain't gonna solve the issue you have. :abduct:

alright ill give it a shot, but that new 4K sony camcorder for $2000 is looking pretty nice right about now

Even though it has a horrible codec, far less color space, lots of compression, and a lot less dynamic range? Just because the 4K camcorders have more pixels doesn't mean they have better image quality. Why do you need 4K anyway? Are you looking for theater distribution?

i dont really have time to learn about this stuff

Is your schedule THAT crowded that you don't have ANY time to learn about this stuff?

Back