pre-pro Approaches to developing a high-level idea

Hey all,

New here! I'm in the process of setting up my own channel where I produce videos which, most of the time, I put together from stock footage. The whole thing should be viewed as a hobby and I'm doing everything by myself.

The way I work is that I come up with a high-level idea first and go from there; something that can be summed up in one sentence that describes what I'd like to convey. Once I'm satisfied with that, it's hard for me to settle on an approach to continue the work. For one of the vids, I did a pretty detailed screenplay, but find myself often making changes to my initial plans as I collect the footage and do the edit.

For the video I'm working on right now, I have the high-level idea, but am not even sure what narrative elements are going to be essential, what the length of the vid is going to be, etc. There are a lot of question marks, but it seems the only way to find an answer to these questions is to just start collecting stock footage and building the parts of the vid that I do know are going to be there.

It's hard to be productive when I'm questioning myself all the time. Therefore I'm hoping to get input from those that feel they have something to add here.

Thank you!

Really appreciate the feedback, thanks! Surprised you know all of the music!

I don’t do music (yet), could make a musical “drone” but that’s as far as my experience goes with music. I’ve found a copyright-free track in some audio library that I’m likely using. I’ll look up the track and artist when I’m on the desktop.

Thanks for the like and sub!

Back