Anyone use a HD Flip video camera to shoot shorts?

Those style cameras are great as crash cameras, but not sure I would use them as a principal camera unless the choice was driven by some sort of story element. As "web-cam" footage, surveillance footage etc.

For example. I duct-taped one of those to myself and various other folks and used it as a mosh-pit camera. Worked great when the crowd was lit, but that was not very often. Would have been better at an outside show, or with more light directed at the pit.

Thanks I looked up your other post. I clicked on the link and the page was not available but is this what you were talking about? Sony Handycam DC-SR42. Thanks

I know I'm nearly alone in this, but I don't believe the
camera matters that much. I think a Flip can be used
to make short films. With a great script, good lighting
and sound, good actors, excellent directing and editing
I don't believe the audience will care what camera was
used.

Sure, a movie maker using a Flip with face challenges
that one using the RED won't face, but I always believe
overcoming your challenges is what making movies is
all about.

Sometimes making a short isn’t about marketing or distribution. I
know that my first dozen or so short films were made for the fun
of making films and to learn.

But thinking of marketing and distribution; since there isn’t much
of a market for short films and distribution of shorts is a long
shot, I wonder if marketing the short as “shot on the Flip” might
not have some value.

You promoted a music video as “shot on the RED” here not too long
ago, Denny, to show fellow movie makers how easy it is to make
something look decent. I’m thinking that promoting a really good
short film shot on the Flip might show movie makers who don’t have
access to a RED that with a little work they can make something
look decent.

Even with an inexpensive camera.

Thanks I looked up your other post. I clicked on the link and the page was not available but is this what you were talking about? Sony Handycam DC-SR42. Thanks

It's not that I have a thing for that Sony handicam. Here's a copy of the important part of my text:

When you're out shooting, time is of the essence. You're going to be working with volunteers, and it's not cool to keep them forever and ever. They'll only stay so long. So, you're going to want to get as much done as you can, in as little time as possible.

The pocket cams are not made for this kind of thing. They're made for people who want to get good video, while carrusing out on the town with their friends. They're not set up to allow you the kind of control you're going to want on a set.

Here are the big issues:

Focus ring, and exposure dial. The camera I'm suggesting has both. Pretty much all cameras these days offer manual focus and manual exposure (I think they do, anyway). But on the camera you're looking at, it's not going to be nearly as easy to adjust them as on the used camera I'm suggesting.

You don't wanna be fidgeting with awkward menus and touch screens. You're going to want the controls right at your fingertips. You're going to want a focus ring and exposure dial. With these two items, not only will your shoot run more smoothly, but you'll have more fun, as you won't constantly be messing with these little annoyances.

You're also going to wanna make sure to have manual white-balance (but that's pretty common) and an audio-in jack (also common).

If you're considering a flip-camera, I'm making the assumption that you don't have a lot of money to spend. If you're on a rock-bottom budget, for the reasons listed above, I recommend a used miniDV, but search carefully -- most of the inexpensive ones won't have everything that I listed above.

directorik
I think marketing and distribution should be a fun part of the project. I'm hoping by making a few shorts it will help in getting things off the ground. I also plan on putting them in some fim festivals. All in all the web will play a huge part in marketing and distributing shorts. Is the RED pretty awesome?

Cracker Funk

I have a equipment budget of $3,000. That would include the mic and camera. I guess I just needed a starting off point and starting low was it. I can take a look at a $2,000 camera or so.

Back