• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Anyone editing in DaVinci?

Howdy doody,

I've been offered an edit job, director is really pushing for us to use DaVinci (he's a blackmagic owner and as a result it's the software he's most familiar). When I looked into it a few years ago it was a long way behind Adobe or Avid.

That said apparently DaVinci has made some good progress. My licenses for Adobe and Avid are set for renewal. So I'm considering giving it another look.

Does anyone here cut within DaVinci? What are your thoughts? What are the limitations? I know Adobe and Avid so well I don't find them restricting in any way. But would limitations be lying within learning a new software?

I'd like to hear experience from people who have experience in multiple platforms.

I don't know why it would matter to the director if he's not the one editing. I'd use what you're familiar with.

That said, I use Avid, but we're using Resolve at work to cut 4 feature length documentaries. For me, I would use Resolve for smaller projects, but will stick with Avid for anything serious, though I do finish in Resolve.

I don't know why it would matter to the director if he's not the one editing. I'd use what you're familiar with.
This is the correct answer, but we've gone in circles a bit here, so I'm giving it some consideration.

That said, I use Avid, but we're using Resolve at work to cut 4 feature length documentaries. For me, I would use Resolve for smaller projects, but will stick with Avid for anything serious, though I do finish in Resolve.
Yeah this'll be my first feature length project (as an editor). I prefer premiere in general, but I would've preferred to used Avid on this one. It *is* a fairly low-key documentary feature, so it might be ok in Resolve (but this is the problem I have making this call - I don't know the software to make a valid recommendation).

Are you involved in cutting the documentary pieces?

I've taken a look at it a couple of times over the last few years - (4 months ago last time)

First time I looked at it, it wasn't ready to edit with. I didn't like it the last time I took a stab. Other editors I know say it isn't ready yet.

If I were you and you're taking on a large project, stick with what you're familiar with unless you're forced to change.

Back