• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Anybody fancy a read (pretty please)???

Hey all.

So, I've been super-busy the past month or so (unfortunately I've not been making my debut multi-million dollar feature!), so the whole idea of filmmaking kind-of slipped to the side. But now, I'm back!

Having revisited the short I originally intended to make first, I've decided that although it's okay, I can't get motivated by it, as I know it's the type of thing that'll live on YouTube, get a couple of views, then just exist on my harddrive for a few years until I delete it.

Here, I'm posting the the scripts for the two shorts I intended to shoot after that one. I'm much happier with these and, I hope some of you will agree, I feel that, if made right, they could be (dare I say it...) competition worthy. So here goes...

The Stalker: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...WMtODc4MTI5Zjk0YzFl&hl=en_US&authkey=CMm9w-oJ

The Confession: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...jMtMjVkMTY3MDcyNzU0&hl=en_US&authkey=COTC9qcH

Just as a slight warning, both scripts are thrillers. There's not really any gore or bad-language in either of them, so I don't think anybody should find them offensive in any way, although both do hint at peoples previous violent crimes.

The Stalker (8 pages) has more action, with a little dialogue towards the end. The Confession (11 pages) is dialogue heavy.

If anybody would care to read one or the other (or both, if you can tolerate my writing!) and leave some feedback, I'd be more than greatful!

Thanks in advance, guys and gals!!!

No bad language?? Fuck it, not gonna read it. JK I haven't slept yet so I'm gonna go take a nap and then I'll read it. I might find a place you can insert a fart joke.:)

Hi, mad_hatter.

SPOILER WARNING:

I read your script "The Confession." It's a good concept with a nice twist at the end.

It's also, as you mentioned, "dialogue heavy."

In my opinion, it would benefit from some cutting back of on-the-nose dialogue, and using visual cues and suggestions to convey motive and meaning. I'd give you an example but, unfortunately, Google Docs doesn't allow me to copy and paste. But let me give you a sample of what I mean:

At one point, Mark asks the "killer" Joseph if he took anything from the crime scene. He says: "Did you take any souvenirs from the different crime scenes?"

It should be "Did you take any souvenirs..." and leave it at that.

His meaning that he's referring to the crime scenes is obvious, and it's a more natural question.

You then have Joseph say: "I think you know that I did."

Better to have Joseph remain silent and simply smile, then have Mark ask "What were they?" You thus establish a more subtle silent understanding between the two men.

Joseph replies "I took their teddy bears," and Mark asks "Why?" You then miss a great chance to foreshadow the ending by having Joseph give an explanation: "I don't know. To remind me of their innocence, maybe. Their innocence lost."

If instead you had Joseph once again remain silent, inscrutable, and had Mark suggest a reason, it'd be more elegant. It would, of course, suggest that Mark knows more about the murder than the supposed murderer. Here's what I mean:

Mark
What were they?

Joseph
I took their teddy bears...

Mark
Why?

Joseph looks away, his face unreadable. SILENCE

Mark
(scribbles in notebook, without looking up)
Innocence...

Mark glances up.

Mark (continued)
...lost innocence...

Joseph turns to stare at Mark. Time seems to stand still...

Anyways, you get the idea I hope. This would greatly benefit from trimming dialogue and suggesting rather than saying things. It's how two strangers would talk, I think.

Finally, I'd try to work some kind of suggestion into the script as to why Joseph pretends to be the killer. As it stands, I can't find one. Nothing big, just enough of a suggestion to make it more plausible as to why he confessed.

Best of luck with it!

-Charles

Oh, and one further point:

What is the significance of the green origami frog? I can't find a reason for it. Why not an origami bird? Or an origami elephant? Or bottle cap? Or a piece of string, or whatever?

The point is, in a short script, everything has to have a reason to be there, EVERYTHING. It can't be random or, if it is random, it's taking up valuable screen time and you'll piss off the viewer who tries to connect it and fails. You need to set up the origami frog, or whatever momento left at the scene ahead of time, so it has meaning beyond the mere fact of its existence.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

-Charles

Murdock, I might just rewrite these and fill them with fart jokes and f-bombs galore! Any suggestions, feel free!

Klitch, thanks for the kind words! It means a lot.

Adeimantus, thanks for all the input. I take it all on board and you've made some great suggestions. I'll go through and see what dialgoue I can trim. The example you gave is great and I'm sure there loads more like it in there.

As far as a reason for the false confession, I didn't think it was neccessary, as once we have the twist all the focus shifts onto Mark, while Joseph just fade into being a nobody. Also, it'd mean having to have more story after the twist, something I wanted to avoid. Same with the possibe dropping of hints as to the twist. The way I envisioned it, I want the viewer to think one thing all the way through, not even question it, then it hits you with the twist, the end.

You're right that there's no connection to the frog, that's just laziness on my part. I couldn't think of anything significant, so I just wet with something random. I'll work on it!

Thanks all for the ffedback, I'll look forward to any more comment I may get.

Cheers!

As far as a reason for the false confession, I didn't think it was neccessary, as once we have the twist all the focus shifts onto Mark, while Joseph just fade into being a nobody. Also, it'd mean having to have more story after the twist, something I wanted to avoid. Same with the possibe dropping of hints as to the twist. The way I envisioned it, I want the viewer to think one thing all the way through, not even question it, then it hits you with the twist, the end.

I get you don't want to give the twist away, which is cool. But I don't think it will hurt to give a few small hints so that, after the reveal, people can think back (rewatch) and say, "Yeah, now it makes sense!" It's kind of like being "fair" in a whodunit flick. If you don't give at least a few honest clues, the audience feels cheated, even though they didn't catch it at the time. Know what I mean? I'd risk giving it away to a few people so that the majority don't feel that they weren't at least given a chance to figure it out.

You're right that there's no connection to the frog, that's just laziness on my part. I couldn't think of anything significant, so I just wet with something random. I'll work on it!

Here's a suggestion: As Mark drives in the opening sequence, insert some quick cuts to a close-up of unknown hands carefully fashioning the origami frog; make it stylized (colored differently or with unconventional camera angles or grainy, etc). That will foreshadow the frog, and will give a sense of closure to the audience when they see him set the frog down in front of Joseph.

Cheers!

-Charles

Here's a suggestion: As Mark drives in the opening sequence, insert some quick cuts to a close-up of unknown hands carefully fashioning the origami frog; make it stylized (colored differently or with unconventional camera angles or grainy, etc). That will foreshadow the frog, and will give a sense of closure to the audience when they see him set the frog down in front of Joseph.

I like it! Thank you!

I read the confession. I have to say that I guessed the ending shortly after the beginning of the interview. I think you need to make it more subtle if you want to conceal your twist. Also, I don't think I would throw away the fact that he's a journalist. If a plumber can be a killer, why not a journalist? Most criminals will put themselves into occupations which will enable them to carry out their crimes.

One approach might be to gather information from Joseph to be used to plant evidence and further incriminate him. "So where could someone hide something like this? I mean, this is such a small town." I liked it. With thrillers, though, you have to walk a careful line with the foreshadowing as it lessens the impact. That's what happened for me.

I read the confession. I have to say that I guessed the ending shortly after the beginning of the interview. I think you need to make it more subtle...

Hi Fantasy, thanks for reading!

If you don’t mind, could you tell me what gave it away? I’ve tried to avoid any hint as to what the truth is, so I’d be interested to hear how you knew. Or is it just because you’re expecting a twist, so you were able to pre-empt it? Any suggestions on how to be more subtle would be appreciated, as this is the one twist ending that I’d really like to avoid people guessing halfway though the film. (EDIT: Just thought of something that could be pretty major… How about I take out the part at the very start of the interview where they actually mention the possibility of a false confession? The journalist then doesn’t mention it until the very end. That way, the audience wouldn’t even question whether the killer did it or not, it’d just be a writer interviewing a murderer. Think that could work?)

As far as having him actually be a journalist, that was what I originally had, instead of the line about the fake ID, he said something like “I am journalist, but that doesn’t stop me from doing what I do…” if I remember rightly. The whole idea for this short came from another idea I had where a journalist started killing people for the sole purpose of reporting it himself. I didn’t think that was particularly original though. Anyway, the fake ID line, I changed it to that pretty quickly, as I thought, in reality, if he were a real journalist, he’d be extremely easy to trace if Joseph decided to tell somebody…

Thanks for the comments, glad you liked it. I’m really happy nobody has come along and said my writing’s terrible! Makes me feel at least slightly better about myself!

Anybody fancy reading through The Stalker for me? I actually think it’s a little better than The Confession, plus it’d be easier to make, so, of the two, I’m leaning more towards producing that one first. Cheers!

Last edited:
I read both of them. I think they are both great stories with a O. Henry feel and a dark twist. The Stalker also kind of hints at the ending. Have reflected on both, I think it is because you subtly guide them (the audience) when you need to be less intrusive.

If you don’t mind, could you tell me what gave it away? I’ve tried to avoid any hint as to what the truth is, so I’d be interested to hear how you knew. Or is it just because you’re expecting a twist, so you were able to pre-empt it? Any suggestions on how to be more subtle would be appreciated, as this is the one twist ending that I’d really like to avoid people guessing halfway though the film. (EDIT: Just thought of something that could be pretty major… How about I take out the part at the very start of the interview where they actually mention the possibility of a false confession? The journalist then doesn’t mention it until the very end. That way, the audience wouldn’t even question whether the killer did it or not, it’d just be a writer interviewing a murderer. Think that could work?)

I think you hit it on the head. I might have Joseph start with

JOSEPH: "Hey, you're that reporter that tries to get inside a killer's head, aren't you?"
MARK: "The facts speak for themselves if you give them a voice. (beat) Do you hear voices?"
JOSEPH: "No! I'm not crazy!"

Mark pulls out a few crime scene photos and lays them out.

MARK: "So this is the work of a sane man? Murdering young girls? Why would anyone do this?"

This subtly twists the conversation. It suggests the journalist is cleverly trying to find out why and it leads the audience to gently 'side' with the journalist. I put Mark for simplicity here. As for the interview, keep it very open. "How long did you watch the Culverson girl coming home from school before you decided to take her?" This sounds innocent enough as an interview question but it implies a deeper knowledge. I'd throw in a 'red herring'.

MARK: "In researching your childhood, I noted that your sister lived with your mother after the divorce. How did you feel about that?"
JOSEPH: "I never really ..."

He studies Mark's face.

JOSEPH: " ... She was a bitch. She left me to take the beatings from my drunk old man."

It has nothing to do with it, in fact. But for the audience, groping to make sense of what they are watching, they will fancy all sorts of psychological depth. You stacked up teddy bears and origami frogs, but didn't make them relevant. The journalist suddenly seemed to know more than the 'killer' which kind of tipped it for me. To maintain the suspense you need to keep the killer one step ahead until the end.

JOSEPH: "Did they find my calling cards on these new victims?"
MARK: "Calling cards? The pictures?"
JOSEPH: "No, the teddy bears."
MARK: "My contacts in the police say they didn't release all the details to avoid copy cat killers."

He rustles through some papers.

MARK: "There's been a new murder like the ones you committed. Remarkably similar."

Now you've raised at your critical point that he might be innocent. But you persist just a bit.

As for being a real journalist, it will save you lots of headache. Hey, it works for Dexter to be a serial killer in the Police Dept. Also, before such an interview tons of credential checking would be done. A simple false pass would not work. So for continuity, I'd keep him a real journalist.

I’m really happy nobody has come along and said my writing’s terrible! Makes me feel at least slightly better about myself! Anybody fancy reading through The Stalker for me? I actually think it’s a little better than The Confession, plus it’d be easier to make, so, of the two, I’m leaning more towards producing that one first. Cheers!

I think you have a good writing style. However, do check your grammar for the verbs SIT, LIE, and LAY. (In "The Stalker" p.2 "... he is sat in his car" and p.1 " ... she is laid in bed ..." :) rather "he sits" and "she lies"--try to avoid the whole progressive and passive tenses altogether.)

I liked The Stalker but again it becomes obvious quickly. Partly because she acts suspiciously and he does nothing too suspicious. You made a big deal of her grabbing the camera and then she drives off when the guy comes up. The house would have been safety. Her actions did not match to a young woman actively engaged in life. Similarly all he did was watch her--as might a detective hired to see if a wife is cheating. You might have her leave then have him look through her garbage.

I might make her more obsessive in the end. More of a Baby Jane like ending.

WOMAN: (to Man) Why did you sleep with "ACTRESS"? They loved each other?

Man is dead with a bullet.

WOMAN: She couldn't love Mark like I can. I will protect him.

And close with her pasting the clippings, which is a great ending. My only concern is if it was his assignment, the police department is going to swoop down on her. So he needs to be privately hired. That would also allow him to snoop around her garbage cans, maybe be "break into her house" without a search warrant and generally have film shots that make him look suspicious. Perhaps have him move something. So when she returns and reaches around, it's moved. She pauses and seems nervous.

The more guilty he looks and more innocent she looks, the more powerful the ending. So I might have her talk on the phone to someone and make a reason why she's not at work.

WOMAN: Oh, hey Joan. Yes. This is my week off to get caught up. ... No nothing much. I'll even get to catch up on my soaps. .... Oh stop! ... Sure, let's do lunch.

She hangs up and gets a second call. "Hello." Silence. "... Hello? ... Who is this? ..." Shakes her head and hangs up.

Now we have set up a situation where she has a reason to not be at work. She seems normal. He seems to be more creepy.

To add to it, you might have her find a box on her doorstep. She opens it and finds something in it. She angrily/disgustedly throws it inside. At first we think she is the target. Later you reveal it is something she gave to MARK that was returned.

I like how you do the unravel at the end. But rather than give an exposition, I'd just rely on creating strong visuals. The white box on her door step = a white box she leaves for Mark; phone call slam = Mark calling her (have a clock with the same time in both locations, visible but not blatant).

The only part which seemed disjoint was the blood on her hands when referring to his wife and kids. At first I thought it was the detective's. If she murdered them, this would have been a very different story than stalking.

Anyway, nice job on both stories.

Last edited:
Fantasy, thank you so much for taking the time to read these and for taking the time to write your extensive feedback. It really does help a lot. You've given me much to think about!

I'm going to take some of the ideas we've discussed here and try a re-write of both scripts.

As far as O. Henry, are you talking about the writer? I'm not familiar with his work, but I might try and dig some of it out and have a read.

Oh, the blood on the hands, that was meant to be disjointed. It was supposed to be more of a fantasy than a flashback. The way I saw that in my head was in a few extreme close-up's, with a very shallow DOF, shot with a plain white background, no extra details. I'd hoped that would make it seem less real, almost dream like. But that's to decide at a later date!

Thanks again!

I didn't read everyones' critiques so if I repaet anything.....I like it. The one thing that jumped

off the page at me was, why didn't she call the police? After finishing, I understand she

wouldn't called the police because she's psycho. But I think you could really sell the illusion of

her being a victim by addressing this. It could be as simple as having her try the phone and it

doesn't work/can't get a dial tone. Just something that clears that question in the viewers

eye.

Thanks for reading, Murdock.

I haven't started it yet, but in my next draft of "The Stalker" I intend to try and play the female character off as more of a definate victim, rather than just a possible victim of stalking.

Haven't read all the other notes. I'm sure I repeated some things, but in the mouth of two or more witnesses let every word be established. :)

Spoiler Alert

Both really good. You're a very descriptive writer. Great for a script you're shooting. Reign it in a bit for submissions.

The Stalker

The only line I'd edit was when the woman is on the phone and she sees she saw him in the car. I'd cut the line after that, "...the man in the car." But the rest of the script was great. Loved the pacing, scene organization, the reveal and even the tag. Though it could have ended without the struggle. Just a gunshot would have worked.

The Confession

"...I know you didn't kill those girls because I did." Cut "it". Seems more powerful that way.

And I'd also drop the line, "I'm not lying". Again more impact without it.

Also when the guy says, but you're a journalist I'd have him just smile and say "Am I? " or something along those lines.

And another opinion cause that's all these are, I'd make Joseph seem a little more of an extrovert. I get the feeling that he should be really enjoying the interview, the spotlight, the attention, otherwise I leave not understanding why he would admit to a crime he didn't commit.

Back