Any lav mics that can do this?

I haven't been able to find any. But are there any wireless lavs, where the reciever can plug into my field recorder, through the XLR sockets, and be pre-amplified, and monitored that way? That way I can monitor both that and a boom mic more conveniently. Thanks.

Pretty much every wireless lav can plug into your field recorder via XLR and then be monitored.

Are you asking if you can monitor the receiver via a headphone jack built into it? No, that probably doesn't exist.

Most 2 channel recorders will monitor stereo though, so input 1 is left ear and input 2 right ear.

If you have a field recorder I don't understand the issue..?
Why can't you monitor the audio..? Wireless lavs work like any other mic except they're wireless. As long as you have batteries in them, you should be able to monitor and record fine.

Lavs

CountryMan B-6
Sanken COS-11
Sennheiser MKE-2-PC

Why these? They are extremely small so are easier to hide - and they sound terrific. On the negative side they are expensive.

Wireless Systems

Sennheiser G3 or better
Lectrosonics

Anything less and I would not rely on them.

Oh, now you will have to add a mixer to your system as well.

Okay thanks. I think I will go for wireless, unless there is no reason to not have a wire. It seems with wireless you can hide them better in your hair, compared to under the shirt. And in the air is less noticeable, and the if it's wireless, my actor can turn his or her head around, and it won't matter. If I get the wire system, where does it get it's phantom power from? The wireless send a radio signal to the reciever which is plugged into the field recorder (if I have that right), but how does a wire system work?

In this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmY36Aw2IYM

The guy is wearing the mic yet when he gets further away from the camera, the worse the sound gets, even though the mic is still on him. So is their a pre-amp in the foreground that is powering his lav via radio signal?

Last edited:
Instead of spending $2,000+ on wireless lavs why don't you hire someone who knows what the hell they're doing? S/he will most definitely do a better job than you ever could - and leave you free to do other things.

Instead of spending $2,000+ on wireless lavs why don't you hire someone who knows what the hell they're doing? S/he will most definitely do a better job than you ever could - and leave you free to do other things.

+1

harmonica44 said:
The guy is wearing the mic yet when he gets further away from the camera, the worse the sound gets, even though the mic is still on him. So is their a pre-amp in the foreground that is powering his lav via radio signal?
.... a pre-amp.... powering... via radio signal....

No.

The Azden he previews in that video has terrible range which is why it gets so bad when he's not even that far away. I'm pretty sure he specifically states that. If you compare with the Sony, the Sony doesn't have anywhere near as much quality drop or dropout than the Azden...
Did you watch the video you posted..?

Yeah I watched it. Well since the wireless are that much more I might just get a wire and hide it real well. Even if I hire someone I still need back up gear, in case that person decides to bail and leave me in the lurch.

If you're paying someone why would they bail....?

Frankly, if I was paying someone who knew wht they were doing and then they bailed on me, I'd rather spend $500 renting a basic sound kit for a few days than $2000+ buying all the equipment I'd need....

Yeah but renting where I live, you have to book ahead, I think it was 50 days in advance... And in case of any changes, in shooting, for any reason, you not get them the day you need it for that particular scene, if a scene shoot switches days. I don't know why they'd bail, but it's a possibility, and with money and a schedule at stake in a bigger production, I just want to be prepared. Plus I figure if I learn the equipment myself it may come in handy. Even though I plan on hiring people, a lot of us do end up having to wear a lot of the hats in other situations.

Last edited:
Back