• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Any Advantage to 4 Channel Audio For Dialogue?

My footage has 4 channel HD audio, which Song Vegas Pro supports.

I've been condensing it down to one channel so all the dialogue comes through the center speaker.

Is there any advantage for 4 channel? I'm leaving it in for some clips for background ambiance like birds cherping in the background.

Just to clarify, you have 4 channels of recorded dialogue, ie: two stereo tracks (common with a lot of pro video cameras and audio recorders), or you're mixing surround sound and are asking where to put the dialogue?

The former, it depends what you recorded. If it's the same mic on all 4 channels, then yeah just use one and make the dialogue mono.

The latter, center is where most of the dialogue goes. If someone is shouting off screen or you're in a crowded area or busy action wanting to create a bit of confusion, you can stick some background walla and shouts in other channels.

The camera's built in audio records 4 channels. Most likely the 2 extra channels support the recorder, which we had. But, the DP didn't want us to record with the recorder as well. So, maybe, condense it back down to 2, then to 1?

I like the birds cherping coming out the side speakers as background sounds away from the actors dialogue because it puts them more in the background where they belong for our wooded areas scenes.

What is supposed to happen in "formal" audio post is that the production sound is stripped of everything except the dialog. The dialog is processed with noise reduction and EQ, and levels are balanced. Ideally, there is the dialog and nothing but dialog. Everything else - the ambiences, sound FX and Foley - is created by sound editors and Foley walkers.

Dialog is in the center speaker with 5.1 or panned center with stereo. Yes, you will occasionally have a panned piece of dialog, but that is an exception.

Thanks Alcove Audio for clarifying.

Just the fact that we have these recordings with no dialogue has been helpful for creating ambience that is original where I don't have to rely on stock sound effects all the time.

Always get "wild tracks", record "silence" in every location you shoot at, usually referred to as "room tone". Get it in outside locations as well. This is what you lay under the dialogue. Then you build from there.

Just the fact that we have these recordings ... has been helpful...

Get yourself a hard drive and start building your personal sound FX library. You'll add a gig or two with each project and it grows in a hurry. Keep separate folders for ambiences, sound FX and Foley. Sub folders and sub-sub-folders will be needed eventually (i.e. Ambience - Outdoors - Birds) plus a description. Once your library grows large enough you'll need a sound FX library search engine like SoundMiner. You'll need to put in the meta-data for your own sound FX, but stuff you buy will already have it embedded. What's cool about SoundMiner and similar programs is you can take just a piece of the sound sample (I have complete two hour thunderstorms recorded, but say that I want only about 90 seconds; SoundMiner will extract just the minute and a half so I don't need to import the whole two hours).

Be aware that if you ever get foreign distribution they will pull
the dialogue tracks - and everything that is on those tracks.
Many filmmakers do not think of this possibility because it may
never happen, but with some genres (thriller and sci-fi and
action) an overseas deal is more likely than a domestic one.

These sound effexts you do not want to rely on become essential
because the efx you keep on your dialogue tracks will be taken
out. Relying on stock sound efx is an essential part of having a
sellable product.

Last edited:
Back