• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Another take on the 3-Act "formula"

I think of these as simply a rough guide, and not something to conform to. I've actually read Synder's book (R.I.P.), and while I think his beat structure can be useful, it can also be limiting if you try and force every story you write into that very format.

A good counterpoint to this are some of the European or Asian films - the storytelling conventions in some ways are similar (a lot still feel like 3 acts), but the pacing can feel different than what we're normally used to. Act 1s may feel a tad longer. Or it may simply be a 2-act story (setup, consequence). Even the thrillers aren't paced in the same way as their American counterparts.

I liked the comparisons to Jurassic Park; it was "3 act" but completely off the "formula" otherwise.

Don't try telling that to these cats!

The funny thing about this article is that it kinda strengthens the case of the theory behind Save the Cat. I'd like to see the evidence that any of the movies cited were written with the STC methodology (I doubt any of them were). I don't follow this too intently, but to the best of my knowledge the only major Hollywood release that specifically followed the STC structure is How to Train Your Dragon.

Reverse-engineering is a big part of the STC method. Proponents of this theory will tell you that pretty much EVERY successful Hollywood movie has followed roughly the same formula, for a long time. I kinda agree with them.

Does that mean we need to follow a formula when we write a screenplay? Of course not. But I see no harm in recognizing patterns that have worked for a very long time. :)

First "3 Act" is about structure, not story. Secondly, "3 Act" is not a formula. Everything has a beginning and an end ("2 Act"). If you consider the action in the middle, you have "3 Act"--beginning, middle and end. The problem that arises is that structure and story have become superimposed by many screenwriting proponents. The merger of the "Hero's Journey" with the UCLA statistical model has led to an obsession with "beats" and "events". Commonsense tells us that by the middle of the movie, we should be reaching a point where things are going to come to a resolution. I like to think of movies as rollercoasters. Good rollercoasters often have that final joyful kick before the conclusion.

So taking rollercoasters, I know it starts off slow and builds, in the middle is the action, and then things heat up for the final thrill before pulling back into the station--beginning, middle, end ("3 Acts"). After that first hill, there's the stomach drop ("transition"). Before the final slowdown, there's the kicker ("denouement/do-or-die moment"). That's it. If you don't have a beginning, middle and end, you don't have a movie. Period.

Snyder, Hauge and others draw upon the fact that most stories follow the Hero's Journey. The Hero's Journey is NOT the only way of telling a story. It is a common western motif, though not necessarily true in Asian or Native American cultures. In fact, it is often male-biased. Reading about female heroes provides different strategies than slaying the dragon. Nonetheless, the Hero's Journey (which is rather formulaic) is often characterized by six steps: (1) the hero is called but resists, (2) the hero is forced to start his quest, (3) the hero meets the dragon who defeats him, (4) he meets a mentor who heals/trains him, (5) the challenge has now greatly increased, and (6) the hero conquers the dragon. There are other finer points one can add. Now "six" is divisible by "3", so many gurus divide this up. Act One: you must introduce the hero and start him on his quest. That quest challenge is the first hoop and introduces the second act. Act Two: Hero confronts the antagonist and must confront his own flaws with the help of others. This leads to the second hoop, the "impossible challenge" that ushers in the third act. Act Three: the hero is confronted and almost loses himself but transcends his limitations for that final desperate action which overcomes his flaws and the villain. There is the ever after (usually happy but not necessarily) where the world is changed. That "story formula" has become linked to "structure" which is unfortunate.

There are non-linear ways of telling stories. There are non-hero journey stories. Comedies often don't fit neatly into this paradigm. There, events spiral out of control. The question is does a protagonist need to be a "hero" or can they be acted upon? Was Chauncey Gardener in "Being there" a classical hero? Still, it falls into the model because he's forced out of his comfort zone. For many people, they want action and a hero, so that fits in well with the HJ formula. Implicit in this model is conflict resolution. Sometimes the protagonist is a "martyr", the villain is death--"Brian's Song", "Love Story", "Titanic", "Buried", etc.

Structure for television, the "acts", is very precisely defined to allow for commercial breaks. Each "act" ends with a hook to draw the audience back. Television often has a "six act" structure--teaser, act 1, act 2, act 3, act 4 and tag. However, television's use of the HJ formula is less forced since it has three or more arcs that are ongoing--episode, season, and series. Here the acts continue to serve to organize the presentation. Act 1 - What's the episode about?, Act 2 - What's the conflict?, Act 3 - What's the flipside?, and Act 4 - The Negotiation. The teaser is, well, the teaser. The tag is the outcome.

New writers benefit from having a clean model to follow. And I really encourage new writers to master this before trying to "break the rules". You can't break the rules until you know what they are and have mastered them. Once you've written a couple scripts using this approach, you can explore being creative. Like a coloring book, it's okay to color outside the lines but it will look like crap. Once you can color inside the lines, it looks cookie cutter. The next step is drawing your own lines. It will look like crap. But with practice, you should get some art that looks fairly decent. Many of us copy cartoons, manga, etc. These imitations help us develop skills to craft our own cartoon and manga characters by learning styles and proportions. Scripts are the same. The first few are "formulaic" but you're learning structure, format, pacing and other nuances. After five or so, things suddenly come together.

Last edited:
New writers benefit from having a clean model to follow. And I really encourage new writers to master this before trying to "break the rules". You can't break the rules until you know what they are and have mastered them.
Bingo.

+1

Too many of the shorts we see submitted here, disregarding any technical execution issues, are scenes not stories.
They just start and finish like poorly developed SNL skits that just kinda peter out to "cut to commercial" as an ending. :rolleyes::grumpy:

Fantasy/SF is correct - follow the rules until you know when not to. But using other models is not really breaking the rules, because the rules do not say to follow 3-Act Structure and nothing else. For example, doing a SF adaptation of the Conrad's Heart of Darkness would mean following Marlow on his spaceship as he goes from one place to the other, looking for Kurtz. So this would be following the book, with modifications, as opposed to following a three-act structure.

This is quite an interesting article on the (negative) influence of STC et al.

http://www.slate.com/content/slate/...g_at_your_local_multiplex_save_the_movie.html

A great article. I agree 100%! Like Field and McKee, I think story needs to be structured but not so rigidly as to prescribe what should happen when. There are some writers and dramatists who believe there are a finite number of plots, ranging from 20 to 56! Being too literal to any model stifles creativity. Including story elements that follow a general development without being tied to a particular order or page speaks more to genre and theme. When you can look down at your watch and anticipate the next "beat", it's too formulaic.

I don't think STC is bad. I think those who take it too literally stifle themselves. It's a guide to getting started. Once you understand it, you can play around.

Last edited:
Don't try telling that to these cats!

The funny thing about this article is that it kinda strengthens the case of the theory behind Save the Cat. I'd like to see the evidence that any of the movies cited were written with the STC methodology (I doubt any of them were). I don't follow this too intently, but to the best of my knowledge the only major Hollywood release that specifically followed the STC structure is How to Train Your Dragon.

Reverse-engineering is a big part of the STC method. Proponents of this theory will tell you that pretty much EVERY successful Hollywood movie has followed roughly the same formula, for a long time. I kinda agree with them.

Does that mean we need to follow a formula when we write a screenplay? Of course not. But I see no harm in recognizing patterns that have worked for a very long time. :)

Interesting... some of the beats seem a bit of a stretch though, and some of the comments get into some specifics.

I don't know, I have the book, haven't managed to get to far into it yet, but I'm going to approach it the same way, use it just like any other tool, when it's appropriate.

CraigL

Back