Another Lethal Blow . . .

My lead actress for the role of Artemis just flaked today. She sent me a polite bow out email in the 11th hour.

This production is really going against all odds where all hope is abandoned.

That sucks. =T Nothing worse than almost getting there and having people drop out.

This may be a time to reevalulate what you're doing, and if the script etc are strong enough. A lot of the times that's the reason, to be honest with you. People will stick around for a good project, even if they aren't getting paid.

The script is fine. I even got a deal to do the rehearsals in a dojo with wrestling mats.

We were looking to jump into preproduction after this weekend.

I made her a last ditch offer of some pay, where she would also have to sign a work-for-hire contract instead of an agreement, in which case I also have to file an 1099 Misc and she will have to pay taxes later. That's a one time offer.

I have not heard back from her yet. I'm hoping to cast a backup or 2 this Sunday.

Roll with it, MDM. That's the nature of film. Everything that can go wrong, will...twice. And us indies don't have much $ to plug the leaks.

I know someone's mentioned this before on one of your threads, but is there anyway you can cut some of the fx and props budget you seem to have and filter it into paying the acting talent?

I cut the stunt budget as much as a can down to one costume each. I have to pay the price and lose top talent to bigger productions with deeper pockets I cannot compete with. And people wonder why acting in Indie films are not all they can be--Budget.

There are flakes in paying gigs too. So, it's more than just money. One of my friends who is an actor admitted they bailed on a production just because they didn't like the people they were working with after they got paid in full. She admitted she took the money and ran. She is worried the producers may be looking to sue her for breach of contract and taking money she didn't work for.

I told her for something like that, I have to side with the producer over her. She should at least return the money.

The actress I lost today has several TV series worth of experience under her belt. So, she was perfect for a lead role for our production to bring to NATPE. I cannot afford to pay her TV studio rates. I just offered what I could. She's not in SAG. But, she is in the TV actors' union. So, the script attracted good people. She is just getting too busy with too many other productions.

It's a sign from God that you should persevere and show your worthiness--

Wait.
That's Old Testament.
Nevermind.

Stupid people.
I hate 'em.
I want to like 'em, but they just make it so difficult.

GL!
I'll express snail mail some patience to you if I can't fit it in my coffee cup holder drive to email it.

Sorry to hear that. I hate to say it, but I think you have only one solution -- $$$. Pay your talent. $100/day, and you won't have these issues.

CF,

Pay is relavant to whom you are dealing with. The main lead turned that much down this past Thursday because that is chump change compared to what she makes with the TV networks. That's why she wasn't going to work for money. She like the character and story. She just spread herself too thin with her regular gigs and trying to take this on with such a large lead role.

What do you do on a limited budget? I'm sorry for the flakiness of your dropouts and the problems they've made for you. Seems like about the only answer in a serious project is to use written contracts, get it in black and white...particularly if you're paying $$$.

If you're not paying money, then I'm guessing that it's difficult for an actor to feel that they have a stake in or that they themselves are invested in your film --unless they really, personally like it or believe in it for some reason. You've posted quite a bit now about your actors' dropping out and your consequent woes. I know I'd like to hear more about how you cast these actors. What was your pitch to them? What did you offer them for their precious time and work? The love of excercising their craft? Exposer? Experience? A great script or participation in a high-class production? It might help to fill the picture in better for us if you described how you approached these things for this production. How did you make your verbal(?) contracts? What exactly is the project? What was/is in it for your pro bono(?) actors?

Last edited:
Contracts, agreements, and releases seem to work better than money with most of them. Once they sign, they feel bound to stick with the production. None of the flakes signed the paperwork.

One guy at work asks why do I worry when I know what I'm looking for. I worry about NOT getting who I am looking for. I have to settle for who is left over after the flake shake out.

Two actors told me that contracts are a better way to lock down actors than pay. I thought so from my experience with actors. Some producers even try to get actors to sign contracts during interviews to lock them down.

Contracts, agreements, and releases seem to work better than money with most of them. Once they sign, they feel bound to stick with the production. None of the flakes signed the paperwork.

What were their excuses for not signing the paperwork?

Never pursue until all talent/crew are contracted. No further steps should be taken. This is always going to happen. Contracts or not. But atleast, if they've signed an agreement. They honour it, or face the consequences.

Them not signing the contract should have set off the alarm bells, no? If somebody is making excuses to not sign a piece of paper. You have to put them on the spot. Give yourself the best chance of moving on and filling the role.

I guess it's a lesson learned. It sucks. But this is why being an Indie film-maker, or a beginning to anything, is tough. We have no merit.

You are in New York City. You should be able to find a replacement pretty easily! It may push your production schedule back a bit, but you'll still get there.

BTW - how's my old neighborhood? I used to live on Booth Street.

Back