Another GH4 thread...sorry.Upgrading.

Hi folks,

Having had my gh2 for around a year now and currently using it successfully daily for my sports broadcasting work,I have just taken a look at the cost of them on ebay and my heart sunk.

My plan has always been to keep the gh2 for as long as possible but without letting the resale value drop so low that I can't afford the difference to upgrade.

I looked a couple of months back at upgrading to the gh3 but with the 4 looming ominously on the horizon I decided to wait it out.

Now the prices have been released for the UK GH4 at £1400 for the body(I assume I can still use my adapted set of canon FD lenses and kit 14-42mm) it leaves me looking at about £1000 difference to upgrade.

I have no need yet for 4k shooting,I currently downscale my paid work to 720p as my employers only use the footage for youtube, and my personal creative work looks just dandy at 1080p.

My gh2 has the flow motion v2.2 hack installed(I settled on this hack pretty early on in my ownership and have just left it on as its been reliable and looked good, whilst running on all of my 30MB/s cards with no issues). Will the standard GH4 be a noticeable upgrade in terms of dynamic range and picture clarity? I often shoot late at night under street lighting getting fan interviews after games, and with a cheapie LED panel on my rig I am still shooting at ISO 800 and above at F3.6 and 14mm.

I'm not someone who needs the latest and greatest thing and the GH2 is working nicely for me, however it is getting a little long in the tooth and I don't want it to lose all resale value as at some point I will want to upgrade.

So effectively, what is the gh4 going to offer me that the gh2 isn't?I'm mostly thinking out loud here.

For comments on the GH4 I think you need to wait until people have them and have used them for a few weeks. As you know the GH4 specs are damn impressive.

Given the GH2 works for you, and your budget is limited - I would keep it for as long as possible. With the GH3 and now GH4 out, the GH2 will take a serious resale value hit.

There are other things you can do to stretch out that gh2 life.
New cards with some of the newer hacks. I run the flowmotion 2.2 as well, for the same reason, but I tried some of the new hacks yesterday, my gosh is a new camera.. couldnt play back the footage in camera so I reverted to flowmotion2.2 but I am ordering some new cards to take advantage of the new hacks. Plus Ill need them for any new camera (i.e. gh4)

Also, FD to m4/3 metabones speedboosters are in stock! For 399 a big upgrade in your lens kit that you can take with you to the GH4..

Last edited:
A GH4 wouldn't be a really noticeable upgrade to dynamic range. You might get a tad more 'clarity' as you say, especially if you down sample the 4K to 1080. You'll also get a but more play room in post if you use an external recorder, but that's even more cash to pony up.

If there's little wrong with your GH2 other than it's old, and you're happy with what you get out of it, I don't really see a necessity to upgrade right now.

You know, unless you're missing them feels that come with expensive purchases :P

Back