Another filmmaker

Hello,

My name is Matthew, and I am an independent filmmaker. I feel confident in my abilities to write, shoot, direct actors, and edit, but sometimes the technology holds me back. I am here to learn about the finer points of filmmaking technology and workflow!

Welcome. If you make a post describing the areas of technology that are problematic, I'll try and answer your questions as best I can.
Thank you so much. I posted in Editing earlier about creating a DCP. While I will probably never create one myself for a festival, I just wonder if there are things I need to plan for in the shooting/editing phases.

It's just a standardized file format, and a bunch of legacy traditions that once served a purpose and don't anymore. It really doesn't make a lot of sense to package a low budget short film in a disposable milspec travel case.

Here's what you actually need. A shock resistant thumb drive, some bubble wrap, and that festivals exact requested digital encode format. You can probably just take your print, run it through Adobe Media Encoder or similar, and conform it to the requested format.

It may sound complicated, but this is really just "format your video file to their specs, and put it on a thumb drive and mail it"

I carry expensive equipment in pelican cases, but there is no need whatsoever to package a short film on a modern thumbdrive like that.

It's just a standardized file format, and a bunch of legacy traditions that once served a purpose and don't anymore. It really doesn't make a lot of sense to package a low budget short film in a disposable milspec travel case.

Here's what you actually need. A shock resistant thumb drive, some bubble wrap, and that festivals exact requested digital encode format. You can probably just take your print, run it through Adobe Media Encoder or similar, and conform it to the requested format.

It may sound complicated, but this is really just "format your video file to their specs, and put it on a thumb drive and mail it"

I carry expensive equipment in pelican cases, but there is no need whatsoever to package a short film on a modern thumbdrive like that.
Excellent, thank you! That helps.

Back