Another Blockbuster bites the dust....

This one in West Los Angeles. Right across the street is a Red Box outside a 7-Eleven.
blockbuster.jpg

is that the name of the company? Where are they located out of?

It's a store that deals in, literally, big lots of new merchandise that doesn't sell at other stores. They are all over the place in the PacNW, but I don't know about California. I just recently picked up Black Sunday and The Fugitive for $3 and the second season box set of Twin Peaks for $6.

Oddly Blockbuster Canada did not file for bankruptcy and is doing fine here.

R,

Well, I wouldn't say doing "fine"(at least where I am)-I've talked to a couple of managers quietly, and they do feel that even though it's under a different umbrella, there is already talk of store closings rumouring about.

Rogers Video, store near where I am is pretty much clearing out there DVD's for cheap.

Canadian Blockbusters are not immune, I don't think.

Walmart and Best Buy have a good selection of DVDs. If they don't have it I normally try Amazon.com.

I remember the rental priced VHS. One time I was late bringing back a movie and they wanted to Charge me $50 for the late fee saying the movie cost $50 to buy or something like that. I thought it was crazy to charge that much considering that movie would later only be like $15 at a store. Plus I brought back the movie so I figured it was insane to charge that much for a late fee. I never did pay that late fee.

The Walmart (again in my area) is actually clearing OUT the DVD section (I live near the Sarnia/Port Huron Border area): Unless its a new release, anything older than six months is 2 for 10, 3 for 15, a LOT of "bargain" Bins.

It's gone, in the past year or two, from about 4-5 aisles of DVD's, down now to about 2.

Unless its a new release, anything older than six months is 2 for 10, 3 for 15, a LOT of "bargain" Bins.
I keep telling people who insist on signing with a traditional distributor that even IF the distro manages to get a major chain store like Best Buy to stock your title, they'll only order like 2 copies for only 20 of their 800 stores. Then once your DVD's sell through, they never order any more. So essentially traditional distributors never really do much of anything for you unless it's that indie hit that comes along once every 4 years or so like Open Water or Paranormal Activity.

Looks like the Canada question is definitely being answered now:

http://en.video.sympatico.ca/index....sumer-news/26/blockbuster-stores/934393872001

For those who can't access the link, Blockbuster is Canada is now being put into the same blanket as it's US parent-Bankruptcy and some stores are already closing, most are still open (for now) but employees are now paid by week, instead of every two weeks, have been instructed NOT to sell any more gift certificates, and have been paid their vacation pay.

BB in Canada is now also just about done....

I posted the Canadian link because I wanted to follow up the Canadian side (the news just broke the past few days)

Apparently part of the issue(from what I'm reading-if it's true) supposedly Blockbuster named the Canadian divison the guarantor for debt?-meaning that 67 million that is owed to the Hollywood Studios-you guessed it, BB Canada is (supposedly) responsible for it.

Again, I'd have to do more research, but it's interesting reading comments on the various news sites, quite a few weren't happy with BB's policies, and aren't sad to be seeing it go.

On the flip side, some Independent film stores (Mom and Pop) are seeing a small resurgence, though how long that lasts it's hard to tell.

Back