Animation: where to start

Hey, everybody!

I have a young friend who will be graduating in about a year. She is trying to figure out what to do with a degree in Communications and Cinematic Study in Detroit.

We all know everyone loves p.a.'s and interns, so I suggested doing that to get a foot in the door. However, she talked to me a little about being interested in animation. Not my area at all.

Does anyone have any info I could pass along? Where to look, what kind of software should she consider learning (or buying considering she could get student discounts) Any informative books. Any avenues in through the back door (meaning if you can't go to film school, start in public access t.v.-- that's what I did.)

She's very early 20's (oh, to be twenty and just starting out) Any advice for a bright and shiny graduate? I figure, let everything be 'glittery' while it can, she'll learn the work part soon enough.

-- spinner :cool:

Just want to preface this by saying that I am no expert.

It would depend on what type of animation she wants to do. If she wants to do quick animations for commercials, then she could buy Adobe After Effects and Maxon Cinema 4D (Killer student price for Cinema 4D). To see the kind of stuff you can do with it, go to:

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/

The dude teaches you how to use Cinema 4D and After Effects to make nice logos and text animations, the kind of stuff you routinely see in many commercials and intros.

If she is not into 3D, then she can do just as well with only After Effects, and then you want to check out Andrew Kramer's website:

http://www.videocopilot.net/
Lots and lots of tutorials. The guy is a master teacher. And he is funny. So learning with him is enjoyable.

If she wants to do more serious 3D / CG animations, like the kind you see in movies, then I'm not equipped to dispense advice. She should probably look at buying Maya or Houdini
Maya: http://usa.autodesk.com/maya/
Houdini: http://www.sidefx.com/
I don't use them. But I understand that the top CG movie companies do.

Good luck to your young friend.
Happy New Year.
Aveek

If looking into 3d stuff, Blender is free and a great place to start:

Blender Survival Guide rom Creative Cow
Blenderguru
blendercookie

The techniques from there will transfer to any 3d package.
After Effects will be the other big tool and that's not free... and there's no real good replacement.

Send her to blender.org ... have her look at "Big Buck Bunny" "Elephant Dreams" and "Sintel" as models for what can be done using blender.

If she wants to work as a 3D Animator in films, "Maya" is one of the standard animation packages used by many facilities. They offer free software to students. You should check their site HERE, and see of she qualifies. There are several different software packages out there, and they all basically do the same thing ...
but if she can snag one of the main packages (for free) it's a good thing.

I've worked in the visual effects industry (starting in character animation) since the early 90s. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have. There are several ways to get into the industry, and I can give you my $0.02. Just drop me a PM :)

_Rok_

Hey, Spinner, best of luck to your young friend. I know nothing, but I have done a tiny bit of googling to learn about animation, and I found this page interesting. It may be dated, but check it out for possible programs including 2D ones, some free, too. Like Knightly suggested, that page is how I first found out about Blender. Some awfully cool stuff being done with that. But it would be super cool if she could get student discounts on Maya or something like that, if her interest is 3D.

Which animation program is right for you?

Thanks, you guys!

I'll be sure to pass all the advice to her. I'm going to check out Blender myself since it's free!

-- spinner :cool:

Architectural Visualization can make money if you're good with a 3Dpackage... I'm actually using Blender right now to do Archaeological reconstructions of paleo ground surfaces.

There's plenty of full-time work for talented/experienced animators. The problem is in that you won't know where you stand talent-wise until you finish school ($$), and it may take a few more years to get enough experience to land a regular gig.

These private film schools are cranking out hundreds of grads every year, and the entry requirements at these rackets comes down to whether or not you can qualify for the massive student loan. They'll tempt and B.S. you about their job placement program, don't believe it.

I've counseled many potential students looking an unvarnished, unpaid, reality-check.

_Rok_

Back