• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Animation script

I would like to know how to write an animation script and how different
is it from feature script. Pl any suggestions and thanks
padma

I don't see how it would be a whole lot different from a live action script, but Lord knows I could be very, very wrong in that thought.

I guess the best thing to do would be to search through some script websites and read published some published screenplays of famous films. I'm sure there's some about.

This, i found, is merely preference.

Having once worked with an animator, handing him a spec-script to the correct format i know for Cinema, he found the brief four lines of action too little to work with, urging for more. Against my will, i did so, but it has left be utterly bewildered as to what is the correct way to approach an Animation Script.

Bird could better answer this question, i would wait for her response, especially.

Everything I've read, it isn't really any different from a live action script. Although what's most important in animation are the storyboards, IMO. But you'd still need a script to know who (or what - could be a talking toaster), where (setting), what they're doing and what they're saying. Everything else lands in the art department.

If you're writing about fish under the sea, and they're talking, singing, playing poker on a coral table, then it's pretty obvious you're writing an animation script. :)

Last edited:
Everything I've read, it isn't really any different from a live action script. Although what's most important in animation are the storyboards, IMO. But you'd still need a script to know who (or what - could be a talking toaster), where (setting), what they're doing and what they're saying. Everything else lands in the art department.

If you're writing about fish under the sea, and they're talking, singing, playing poker on a coral table, then it's pretty obvious you're writing an animation script. :)

I knew I shouldn't have budged. :lol:

This, i found, is merely preference.

Having once worked with an animator, handing him a spec-script to the correct format i know for Cinema, he found the brief four lines of action too little to work with, urging for more. Against my will, i did so, but it has left be utterly bewildered as to what is the correct way to approach an Animation Script.

Bird could better answer this question, i would wait for her response, especially.

Thanks for the info and of course I will also wait for Bird's opinion . I googled and I read some animated scripts it was a bit short .
padma

Back