• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Anamorphic DSLR

Hey all!
Was wondering if it's possible to film anamorphic with a DSLR, like an adapter or lens, and where it's possible to get this? Would it be almost ridiculous expensive, or?

Thanks,
Jarand

Yes, you'll need a body modified to take PL lenses, or another type of cinema or motion film mount that anamorphic lenses are offered in.

Yes, it will cost more than a normal 5DmkII and a set of L lenses.

you can get plenty of anamorphic lenses that attach to existing lenses, no PL mount tweak needed..

ala the Panasonic AG-7200

search vimeo for anamorphic dslr

also if you just like the look of anamorphic flares and bokeh you can fake it with a CineMorph lens filter..

http://vimeo.com/22715593

Hey thanks:) Sorry about the late answer.
We shot it with a RED ONE, but never got a hold of any anamorphic lenses, unfortunately.

But this is how it ended up looking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dv-iayj0zU
Have a look :)

Hello dude, I got an anamorphic 2x Isco lens. You have to pay attention on two things:

1) the anamorphic factor will multiply the aspect you're shooting. If your camera is recording a 16:9 aspect (1.77:1), it will turn into a 3.55:1 if your lens is a 2x factor like mine. I like it, but it's a super-anamorphic frame. So if you want a traditional anamorphic look, you should shoot 4:3 to get a 2.6:1. Or get a less anamorphic factor lens, like 1.5x, 1.3x.

2) Cheaper anamorphic lens aren't real camera lens, but projection lens, which means it don't have a focus ring. Without a focus ring you will get some trouble to frame your scene. True anamorphic lens have focus ring, and you have to mount it in front of another lens, and focus both to the same point. To rack focus, need to change both at the same time.

Don't know if you was still looking for it, but anyway, hope it helps.

Funny that this topic just came up:

anamorphicset.jpg

anamorphictvlogic.jpg

Having fun with a new old set of Anamorphics and GH2.

Adapter's Hot Rod Cameras, the set's Kowa Prominar 35's, real deal old school PL mounted treasures.

gh2anamorphickids.png

Will put some up in my other GH2 thread soon.

Last edited:
Kholi, are you having to change workflows on anamorphic lenses on a GH2, considering one would assume it has a 16:9 sensor, and not a 4:3 sensor? Are you de-squeezing less, or perhaps cropping more to get the proper 2.40 aspect?

Kholi, are you having to change workflows on anamorphic lenses on a GH2, considering one would assume it has a 16:9 sensor, and not a 4:3 sensor? Are you de-squeezing less, or perhaps cropping more to get the proper 2.40 aspect?

Pretty much. It ends up as 3.55:1 which is crazy, but interesting. Instead of converting everything to the right aspect, I actually just desqueezed in FCP, applied those changes to all of the clips and took advantage of the pan area to reframe instead of just throwing the information away. It's likely to be about the same in resolution doing it in an NLE regardless.

So you end up with a 2.40:1 and yeah, it's SORTA soft but still "sharper" than 5D footage oddly enough, just as a frame of reference.

If I were a fan of post camera moves that could be some interesting "fake dolly" action.

Gonna post footage here soon, will post uncropped uncolored version as well.

Last edited:
Im aware this is an old thread now, but just finished a short using an anamorphic adaptor, with a DSLR camera (7D). So since I started this whole thing with "what is it? Is it possible?" I can confirm that yes, it is, and it looks f**ing great!

We used a canon 50mm 1.8, as well as an anamorphic projection lens mounted on top of the canon lens :)

Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK2BuwH-4_M

-Jarand

Back