Amazon Prime Video Removing Titles

Recently Amazon has been removing titles from its platform without a clear explanation of why. All of the titles are independent and vary in quality. Does anyone know what's going on?

Two of the three titles that I produced were removed. One of them had technical issues with the aspect ratios so I wasn't surprised it was deplatformed. The other title which was superior to the title that has survived was technically better and arguably better artistically. None of the titles have any overtly offensive material at least by today's standards. I belong to a Facebook group and I am not the only one that this is happening to.

I want to produce another feature film soon but not knowing why Amazon is cutting titles is making wary of doing so.

My short film, An Hour Past Her Time, is still up for now.

Got to remember that it is expensive to store a lot of the content that’s being uploaded constantly.

It might help that I have a Prime membership. Hmm

Too soon to say. So far they have put it on two streaming sites. They have a page on their site of channels they try. You can take a look orcontact them. www.filmhub.com
Just submitted my film to FilmHub. Thanks for the tip! There's a ton of sites that they distribute to. Most won't amount to a hill of beans but we'll see what my first payment looks like. If it goes well then I'll add my short in a couple of months when it's done.
Got to remember that it is expensive to store a lot of the content that’s being uploaded constantly.
The fact that they require captions helps to act as an extra hurdle to stem the flow.

Last edited:
Amazon needs captions too. I do my own, sub-titles for other languages I pay rev.com who are cheaper than most. German, Spanish are best. You can do Chinese (big market) but lots of invisible cultural hurdles with China. Okay with nudity but not national/political stuff! Japan? Forget it if any nudity! Filmhub is new to me so I have no experience yet. Hope me small experience helps. Shorts dont sell that well, I find.

Shorts dont sell that well, I find.
My short has a tiny budget of about $900 for a Sony A6300 camera and miscellaneous stuff like light gels, hair and makeup products. Friends are doing all of the acting. So I don't have much to overcome! I'm hopeful that conservative radio shows and websites mention my short. It's very politically charged! I'll release it on a day when there's no political news.

Dear Readers: I am a Long-Time Lurker, First-Time Poster. My Late-Father Steve (Vladimir) was a Holocaust Survivor in Ukraine. He told us many stories about Anti-Nazi Resistance Fighters in his hometown of Vinnitsa.

In 2011, our Family of 3 created WWII Documentary Film about those Resistance Fighters, ''The Brave Fighters." We spent thousands of our own dollars to finance the film. My Mother Roxanne was the Host and my Late-Father Steve was the Guest. I (Edward) video-recorded and edited the interview. I set up the studio lights and created all 250+ special effects. Over 133,000 people have viewed our film on YouTube. Several years ago, we launched the film on Amazon CreateSpace (DVD on Demand) and Prime Video Direct. Amazon Viewers have rated it 4 stars (average).

Last month, during the "Amazon Purge", they have permanently removed our film. The decision is final, appeal is not possible.

Amazon has extinguished the memory of those wonderful Resistance Fighters! Very sad.

The Brave Fighters

I believe some kind of commercial decision is taking place with the distribution of movies. It is as if, you can no longer find anything on the internet as a distribution platform, be it from movies, to music, or education. Everything has started to go the way of folding in distribution of all things before the the Internet cam into being. I also think, there are thousands / millions of people, looking to find real content. Stuff that does not fit in with the normal.

Let me know about your film when wiped from Amazon. I am interested in fighting back. Mol Smith: molsmith@fastmail.fm

Time for change, me thinks.

Dear Readers: I am a Long-Time Lurker, First-Time Poster. My Late-Father Steve (Vladimir) was a Holocaust Survivor in Ukraine. He told us many stories about Anti-Nazi Resistance Fighters in his hometown of Vinnitsa.

In 2011, our Family of 3 created WWII Documentary Film about those Resistance Fighters, ''The Brave Fighters." We spent thousands of our own dollars to finance the film. My Mother Roxanne was the Host and my Late-Father Steve was the Guest. I (Edward) video-recorded and edited the interview. I set up the studio lights and created all 250+ special effects. Over 133,000 people have viewed our film on YouTube. Several years ago, we launched the film on Amazon CreateSpace (DVD on Demand) and Prime Video Direct. Amazon Viewers have rated it 4 stars (average).

Last month, during the "Amazon Purge", they have permanently removed our film. The decision is final, appeal is not possible.

Amazon has extinguished the memory of those wonderful Resistance Fighters! Very sad.

The Brave Fighters

Why does "Blade Jones" blame "Social Justice Warriors" for his movies being removed from Amazon? I guess he's one of those "Social Injustice Defenders". And why doesn't he accept their own reason: that his movies weren't making Amazon any money? Poor snowflake!

Why does "Blade Jones" blame "Social Justice Warriors" for his movies being removed from Amazon? I guess he's one of those "Social Injustice Defenders". And why doesn't he accept their own reason: that his movies weren't making Amazon any money? Poor snowflake!
Uhhh You Hillary supporters are the PC snowflakes who need safe spaces when you don't like other people's free speech. Also where in this thread does it say that my movie wasn't making any money?

That must be February 31st 2020 ;)

There is always political news. And just when you think there isn't, so late news will come in, lol.

IT is not really a place for politics, but in this thread alone we have an anti-nazi-film, a diverse film and a "possible "sexist", promoting "racial stereotypes", "hate speech", topless nudity, glorifies drug use, has abusing language, promotes "illegal behavior" movie" that got removed.
Hillary losing does not seem a common denominator here.

(As for free speech: look up how fosta/sesta are stiffling art forms (tumbler/patreon removing accounts with nipples), but hardly tackle sex trafficing.)

Maybe Amazon is really looking at the cost of hosting vs revenue. Even if a movie makes you money, it can lose them money. Actually Amazon is a champion in losing money. Without their hosting service they would lose billions each year.
Or maybe it is about engagement: people not finishing a movie AND leaving Amazon instead of watching something else. Stats based decisions can be that cold.

That must be February 31st 2020 ;)
IT is not really a place for politics, but in this thread alone we have an anti-nazi-film, a diverse film and a "possible "sexist", promoting "racial stereotypes", "hate speech", topless nudity, glorifies drug use, has abusing language, promotes "illegal behavior" movie" that got removed.
Hillary losing does not seem a common denominator here.
My film is a COMEDY that these progressive, unhinged social justice warriors would label as "sexist", promoting "racial stereotypes", "hate speech", topless nudity, glorifies drug use, has abusing language, etc. These people would get triggered over films like Airplane and Kentucky Fried Movie for the same reasons. Big tech is turning into Big Brother. They want to control our lives and they want to control speech. Just watch that Google meeting where they were all sobbing over Hillary Clinton's loss. Then click "news" on Google and search for "Trump". All leftist publications in the search results. Amazon is no different. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za4tsfdpeMw

Last edited:
Airplane and Kentucky Fried Movie are both on Amazon, so your argument on that falls flat.

The fact that a majority of tech workers are (apparently) liberal is hardly the point here. We could debate why that is, but it's a topic for a different site.

Airplane and Kentucky Fried Movie are both on Amazon, so your argument on that falls flat.

The fact that a majority of tech workers are (apparently) liberal is hardly the point here. We could debate why that is, but it's a topic for a different site.
No. That illustrates my point perfectly that they have a DOUBLE STANDARD. Big tech is in bed with Big Hollywood.

I think we will never know the truth behind Amazon purges. A variety of reasons, I expect and all on the lower budgeted film maker. Like all film makers, it is difficult still to locate a streaming platform where ones film can get seen but not for free. I'm experimenting with building a Roku channel right now, but its complex and convoluted even after reading a lot of help files and watching videos, often older and no longer pertinent to the updated process. A lot of it relies on access keys and linking different components together and having a pro account on Vimeo to host ones videos, which I have.

If anyone is interested, I'm using this site to put the package together to upload to Roku.
https://www.instanttvchannel.com

I'll play and see if I can get it right before putting up any valuable content and trying to get subscribers for it.
mol

Thank you. That was my first and I borrowed money which took 5 year to pay back: £15,000.
If you ar indie and low budget, my advice to everyone, don't expect to ever get your money back... sadly. But yes, loads of people watch it. I get 6p or 10 cents approx. from Amazon if they watch to the end. my regards, mol. I started a streaming channel on Vimeo so folks can watch all my films without Amazon asking for censorship, here: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/onviewcinema/

regards
mol

Thank you. That was my first and I borrowed money which took 5 year to pay back: £15,000.
If you ar indie and low budget, my advice to everyone, don't expect to ever get your money back... sadly. But yes, loads of people watch it. I get 6p or 10 cents approx. from Amazon if they watch to the end. my regards, mol. I started a streaming channel on Vimeo so folks can watch all my films without Amazon asking for censorship, here: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/onviewcinema/

regards
mol

Finished Abduction and enjoyed it too.

The thing about Amazon Video Direct is that the numbers are so vast that you theoretically can be profitably at a one cent per hour compensation rate. There are 100 million Prime subscribers. If ten million people watch a 2 hour film at 6 cents per hour, that's 1.2 million dollars.

You will not get 10 million watching you. Don't be silly. be practical. As you say - theoretical.

Finished Abduction and enjoyed it too.

The thing about Amazon Video Direct is that the numbers are so vast that you theoretically can be profitably at a one cent per hour compensation rate. There are 100 million Prime subscribers. If ten million people watch a 2 hour film at 6 cents per hour, that's 1.2 million dollars.

You will not get 10 million watching you. Don't be silly. be practical. As you say - theoretical.

The potential is certainly there.

I think you have a lot of untapped revenue to be gained from the two movies of yours that I've seen. Of course, I don't know what you've made so far. But the lack of reviews suggest that you haven't exhausted your viewership. I urge you to revisit your marketing campaigns for these films. If you had not posted links to them, I would not have known about them in all likelihood. I'll elaborate if you want.

I would of course be interested to learn, if you have time?

regards,
mol

The potential is certainly there.

I think you have a lot of untapped revenue to be gained from the two movies of yours that I've seen. Of course, I don't know what you've made so far. But the lack of reviews suggest that you haven't exhausted your viewership. I urge you to revisit your marketing campaigns for these films. If you had not posted links to them, I would not have known about them in all likelihood. I'll elaborate if you want.

Back